About This Chapter
FTCE Math: Manipulatives & Models in the Classroom - Chapter Summary
Back in the day, teachers were fortunate if they had an overhead projector to use in the classroom. That was when the teacher sent a student to the AV room to get the projector and hoped that another teacher hadn't already checked it out. Times have changed, and so has the availability of technological tools. As you work through these lessons in preparation for answering related FTCE Math exam questions, look for the following information:
- Using technology in a math class
- How to use manipulatives in the classroom
- How to use MS Excel and math game apps in a math class
- The Promethean Board and higher-level questions in math
- Answering word problems using manipulatives
- Strategies for using advance organizers
- Using technology to empower students, common tools
Speaking of technology, you can access this study guide from a wide variety of technological tools of your own. Regardless of where you are, you can study from your laptop, notebook, tablet or smartphone. All you need is a location that offers Internet access and the means to go online. This fully accessible, completely portable study guide is available at your convenience, so that you can build your study time around your personal schedule.
1. Math Technology in the Classroom
Teachers use lots of tools to keep students engaged and active learners. Math class is no exception, and technology is a great way to hook learners. This lesson examines how math technology can be used in pre-K through 12 classrooms.
2. Manipulatives in Education: Definition, Examples & Classroom Applications
Find out what manipulatives are and how they're used in an educational setting. Learn how to apply manipulatives to lessons in your classroom. Read the lesson, then take a quiz to test your new knowledge.
3. Using Excel in the Classroom
This lesson discusses several advantages to using Microsoft Excel in both the elementary and secondary classrooms. It will also offer several lesson ideas for using the software.
4. Using Math Game Apps with Students
Using games as an educational tool isn't a new concept, but using apps to engage learners is.In this lesson, you'll get up-to-date information about apps that can be used to supplement the math classroom.
5. Higher Level Questions for Math
An important part of teaching includes asking questions. Teachers need to push students to think deeply by asking high-level questions. In this lesson, learn what high-level questions are and how to apply them to teaching math.
6. What Is a Promethean Board?
Promethean Boards are a type of technology being integrated into classrooms more frequently. This lesson will introduce you to the Promethean Board and help you see why it's becoming such a valuable tool.
7. How to Use Math Manipulatives to Answer Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will see what a math manipulative is, how you can use almost anything as a math manipulative, and how you can use these manipulatives to help you solve word problems.
8. Advance Organizers in the Classroom: Teaching Strategies & Advantages
An advance organizer is a very useful tool for teachers to help students understand, retain and remember new learning material. In this lesson, we define an advance organizer and discuss examples and benefits of use in the classroom.
9. Empowering Students with Technology
As technology becomes more prevalent in the classroom, teachers have new ways to empower student learning. This lesson will explain how technology can be used to empower students.
10. Classroom Technology Tools
In the past, a film projector was the height of technology in schools. Today, teachers have technology at their fingertips on a daily basis. What are these tools and how are they being used? This video lesson will bring you up to speed on classroom technology tools.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Mathematics 6-12 (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Math Test
- FTCE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- FTCE Math: Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Linear Inequalities
- FTCE Math: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- FTCE Math: Rational Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Radical Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Complex Numbers
- FTCE Math: Quadratics
- FTCE Math: Polynomials
- FTCE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Equations
- FTCE Math: Vector Operations
- FTCE Math: Sequences & Series
- FTCE Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- FTCE Math: Functions
- FTCE Math: Piecewise Functions
- FTCE Math: Area & Perimeter
- FTCE Math: Surface Area & Volume
- FTCE Math: Foundations of Geometry
- FTCE Math: Lines & Angles
- FTCE Math: Geometric Construction
- FTCE Math: Properties of Triangles
- FTCE Math: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Right Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- FTCE Math: Circles & Arcs
- FTCE Math: Conic Sections
- FTCE Math: Coordinate Geometry
- FTCE Math: Transformations in Geometry
- FTCE Math: Trigonometry
- FTCE Math: Overview of Statistics
- FTCE Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- FTCE Math: Regression & Correlation
- FTCE Math: Graphic Representations of Data
- FTCE Math: Sampling in Statistics
- FTCE Math: Probability
- FTCE Math: Limits
- FTCE Math: Rate of Change
- FTCE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- FTCE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- FTCE Math: Integration & Integration Techniques
- FTCE Math: Integration Applications
- FTCE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- FTCE Math: Teaching Strategies & Methods
- FTCE Math: Assessing Student Learning
- FTCE Math: Problem-Solving Strategies
- FTCE Mathematics 6-12 Flashcards