About This Chapter
FTCE Math: Overview of Statistics- Chapter Summary
Within this chapter, we have prepared specific text and video lessons related to statistics to aid in your study for the FTCE Math test. Review topics such as:
- Descriptive and inferential statistics
- Populations vs. samples
- Difference between parameters and statistics
- Quantitative data
- Categorical data
- Nominal, ordinal, interval and ratio measurements
- Experiments vs. observational studies
- Random selection and allocation
- Convenience sampling
- Results of randomized experiments
- Confounding variables
- Reliability and validity
- Statistical significance
These text and video lessons are informative and short, so that you can make the most out of your study time. If you need to focus on areas that you have not mastered yet, you can use the timeline links below the video lessons. This will allow you to jump around the lesson to focus on areas you need to work on more.
1. Descriptive & Inferential Statistics: Definition, Differences & Examples
Descriptive and inferential statistics each give different insights into the nature of the data gathered. One alone cannot give the whole picture. Together, they provide a powerful tool for both description and prediction.
2. Difference between Populations & Samples in Statistics
Before you start collecting any information, it is important to understand the differences between population and samples. This lesson will show you how!
3. Defining the Difference between Parameters & Statistics
Using data to describe information can be tricky. The first step is knowing the difference between populations and samples, and then parameters and statistics.
4. What is Quantitative Data? - Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to find out the difference between saying you have seven apples and saying that those apples are delicious. You will learn about quantitative data and why it is useful.
5. What is Categorical Data? - Definition & Examples
Categorical data is one of two types of data that you can collect when conducting research. This lesson will teach you how to understand and use categorical data.
6. Nominal, Ordinal, Interval & Ratio Measurements: Definition & Examples
Different types of data can be grouped and measured in different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about nominal, ordinal, interval, and ratio measurements.
7. Experiments vs Observational Studies: Definition, Differences & Examples
There are different ways to collect data for research. In this lesson, you will learn about collecting data through observational studies and experiments and the differences between each.
8. Random Selection & Random Allocation: Differences, Benefits & Examples
Random selection and random allocation are often confused with one another. This lesson will help you remember the differences between them and learn how to use each method.
9. Convenience Sampling in Statistics: Definition & Limitations
Convenience sampling is one of the most common types of sampling in research. This is because of the benefits that convenience sample brings to the researcher. However, there are some limitations. You will learn about both in this lesson.
10. Analyzing & Interpreting the Results of Randomized Experiments
Analyzing and interpreting the results of an experiment can be a confusing process, and it's easy to make mistakes. This lesson will help you understand the important factors of experiment analysis.
11. Confounding Variables in Statistics: Definition & Examples
Statistics can be a powerful tool in helping researchers understand and solve problems. However, there are faults that can occur in statistical research. In this lesson, you will learn about one of these faults: confounding variables.
12. Reliability & Validity in Psychology: Definitions & Differences
How do validity and reliability contribute to study design in psychology? In this lesson, you'll look at how experiments can fail reliability and validity requirements to get an idea of the challenges behind conducting significant psychological research.
13. Statistical Significance: Definition, Levels & Critical Regions
This lesson explores the basic principle of statistical significance and why it is important to understand when performing nearly any statistical test.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Mathematics 6-12 (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Math Test
- FTCE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- FTCE Math: Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Linear Inequalities
- FTCE Math: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- FTCE Math: Rational Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Radical Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Complex Numbers
- FTCE Math: Quadratics
- FTCE Math: Polynomials
- FTCE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Equations
- FTCE Math: Vector Operations
- FTCE Math: Sequences & Series
- FTCE Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- FTCE Math: Functions
- FTCE Math: Piecewise Functions
- FTCE Math: Area & Perimeter
- FTCE Math: Surface Area & Volume
- FTCE Math: Foundations of Geometry
- FTCE Math: Lines & Angles
- FTCE Math: Geometric Construction
- FTCE Math: Properties of Triangles
- FTCE Math: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Right Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- FTCE Math: Circles & Arcs
- FTCE Math: Conic Sections
- FTCE Math: Coordinate Geometry
- FTCE Math: Transformations in Geometry
- FTCE Math: Trigonometry
- FTCE Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- FTCE Math: Regression & Correlation
- FTCE Math: Graphic Representations of Data
- FTCE Math: Sampling in Statistics
- FTCE Math: Probability
- FTCE Math: Limits
- FTCE Math: Rate of Change
- FTCE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- FTCE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- FTCE Math: Integration & Integration Techniques
- FTCE Math: Integration Applications
- FTCE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- FTCE Math: Teaching Strategies & Methods
- FTCE Math: Assessing Student Learning
- FTCE Math: Manipulatives & Models in the Classroom
- FTCE Math: Problem-Solving Strategies
- FTCE Mathematics 6-12 Flashcards