About This Chapter
FTCE Math: Piecewise Functions - Chapter Summary
If you're scheduled to take the FTCE Math examination, allow this chapter's video and text lessons to help you understand and write piecewise functions. Learn or review the process of shifting, stretching and reflecting piecewise functions, and discover the rules for naming piecewise functions that are unknown. Explore the differences between the greatest and least integer functions, and become proficient at evaluating a piecewise function through this chapter. As you finish, you might be able to:
- Identify piecewise functions
- Graph, translate and calculate the domain of a piecewise function
- Provide examples of a step function
This chapter's lessons are taught by credentialed mathematics professionals whose aim is to help you learn the fundamentals of piecewise functions. Check out each of the lessons on your handy tablet or laptop before you sit for the FTCE Math examination. The visual lessons offer video tags and entertaining animation. The text transcripts contain detailed explanations as well as examples of functions and equations. Test your knowledge and memory with the short multiple-choice quizzes.
1. What are Piecewise Functions?
A piecewise function is a certain type of function that is made up of different parts. This lesson will define and describe piecewise functions and teach you how to identify them and how to write them.
2. How to Find the Domain of Piecewise Functions
The domain of any function is all the values that x can be for that function. Piecewise functions are special functions that have different parts with unique rules for each part. This lesson will show you how to find the domain for piecewise functions.
3. How to Graph Piecewise Functions
Piecewise functions are specific functions that have more than one piece. There is a special trick to graphing these type of functions, which you will learn in this lesson.
4. Translating Piecewise Functions
Piecewise functions are two or more functions that only use part of a domain. If these functions need to be changed, we can translate them without even having to know the equation.
5. Step Function: Definition, Equation & Examples
In this lesson, we'll learn what a step function is and become comfortable with this type of function. We'll examine common examples, such as the floor and ceiling functions and the heaviside function.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Mathematics 6-12 (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Math Test
- FTCE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- FTCE Math: Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Linear Inequalities
- FTCE Math: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- FTCE Math: Rational Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Radical Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Complex Numbers
- FTCE Math: Quadratics
- FTCE Math: Polynomials
- FTCE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Equations
- FTCE Math: Vector Operations
- FTCE Math: Sequences & Series
- FTCE Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- FTCE Math: Functions
- FTCE Math: Area & Perimeter
- FTCE Math: Surface Area & Volume
- FTCE Math: Foundations of Geometry
- FTCE Math: Lines & Angles
- FTCE Math: Geometric Construction
- FTCE Math: Properties of Triangles
- FTCE Math: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Right Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- FTCE Math: Circles & Arcs
- FTCE Math: Conic Sections
- FTCE Math: Coordinate Geometry
- FTCE Math: Transformations in Geometry
- FTCE Math: Trigonometry
- FTCE Math: Overview of Statistics
- FTCE Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- FTCE Math: Regression & Correlation
- FTCE Math: Graphic Representations of Data
- FTCE Math: Sampling in Statistics
- FTCE Math: Probability
- FTCE Math: Limits
- FTCE Math: Rate of Change
- FTCE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- FTCE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- FTCE Math: Integration & Integration Techniques
- FTCE Math: Integration Applications
- FTCE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- FTCE Math: Teaching Strategies & Methods
- FTCE Math: Assessing Student Learning
- FTCE Math: Manipulatives & Models in the Classroom
- FTCE Math: Problem-Solving Strategies
- FTCE Mathematics 6-12 Flashcards