About This Chapter
FTCE Math: Rational Expressions & Equations - Chapter Summary
This chapter contains lessons that go over operations you can perform on rational expressions and equations. These videos are designed to help you review how to:
- Multiply, divide, add, subtract and simplify rational expressions
- Solve rational equations
- Divide and find the reciprocal for rational expressions
- Graph and then analyze rational functions
- Determine the slant asymptotes of a rational function
- Write an expression of a rational function
Our expert instructors will walk you through each mathematical formula, while the multiple-choice quizzes at the end of each lesson will allow you to practice what you know. The video timelines make it easy for you to go back and spend extra time on subjects you'd like to review even further.
1. How to Multiply and Divide Rational Expressions
Multiplying and dividing rational polynomial expressions is exactly like multiplying and dividing fractions. Like fractions, we will reduce. With polynomial expressions we use factoring and canceling. I also give you a little mnemonic to help you remember when you need a common denominator and when you don't.
2. How to Add and Subtract Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions brings everything you learned about fractions into the world of algebra. We will mix common denominators with factoring and FOILing.
3. How to Solve a Rational Equation
A rational equation is one that contains fractions. Yes, we will be finding a common denominator that has 'x's. But no worries! Together we will use a process that will help us solve rational equations every time!
4. Division and Reciprocals of Rational Expressions
In this video lesson, you will learn how to divide and take the reciprocal of any rational expression. Learn the one easy step you take to be able to find your answer quickly and easily.
5. Simplifying Complex Rational Expressions
When it comes to fractions, things may seem to get really complicated and scary when you have a fraction on top of a fraction. But never fear, after watching this video lesson, you will be able to simplify these expressions like a pro.
6. Graphing Rational Functions That Have Linear Polynomials: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can graph rational functions with linear polynomials in just a few steps. Also learn what kinds of functions these are and what you need to look for to graph them.
7. Analyzing the Graph of a Rational Function: Asymptotes, Domain, and Range
A rational function arises from the ratio of two polynomial expressions. The graphs of rational functions often have distinct characteristics. In this lesson, we look at how to analyze some of those characteristics.
8. Finding Slant Asymptotes of Rational Functions
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the slant asymptote to certain types of rational functions. Learn what you need to look for and how polynomial long division comes into play.
9. Expressions of Rational Functions
In this video lesson, you will learn how to write a rational function given just the horizontal and vertical asymptotes. Learn how to write the asymptotes and where to write them in your function.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Mathematics 6-12 (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Math Test
- FTCE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- FTCE Math: Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Linear Inequalities
- FTCE Math: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- FTCE Math: Radical Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Complex Numbers
- FTCE Math: Quadratics
- FTCE Math: Polynomials
- FTCE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Equations
- FTCE Math: Vector Operations
- FTCE Math: Sequences & Series
- FTCE Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- FTCE Math: Functions
- FTCE Math: Piecewise Functions
- FTCE Math: Area & Perimeter
- FTCE Math: Surface Area & Volume
- FTCE Math: Foundations of Geometry
- FTCE Math: Lines & Angles
- FTCE Math: Geometric Construction
- FTCE Math: Properties of Triangles
- FTCE Math: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Right Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- FTCE Math: Circles & Arcs
- FTCE Math: Conic Sections
- FTCE Math: Coordinate Geometry
- FTCE Math: Transformations in Geometry
- FTCE Math: Trigonometry
- FTCE Math: Overview of Statistics
- FTCE Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- FTCE Math: Regression & Correlation
- FTCE Math: Graphic Representations of Data
- FTCE Math: Sampling in Statistics
- FTCE Math: Probability
- FTCE Math: Limits
- FTCE Math: Rate of Change
- FTCE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- FTCE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- FTCE Math: Integration & Integration Techniques
- FTCE Math: Integration Applications
- FTCE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- FTCE Math: Teaching Strategies & Methods
- FTCE Math: Assessing Student Learning
- FTCE Math: Manipulatives & Models in the Classroom
- FTCE Math: Problem-Solving Strategies
- FTCE Mathematics 6-12 Flashcards