About This Chapter
FTCE Math: Regression & Correlation - Chapter Summary
It could be said that math and science are sister disciplines. Both thrive on the collection of data, but raw information has no meaning until it is interpreted and applied. As you prepare for the FTCE Math exam, gain some new perspectives and dust off some old ones as you watch these videos. They cover the material in the list below:
- Samples and procedures for building and reading scatterplots
- Explanation and formula for simple linear regression
- How to use linear regression to solve problems
- Formula, definition and example of the correlation coefficient
- Identifying and interpreting correlations
- Understanding correlation and causation
- Comprehending and working with linear relationships
This refresher course, while composed of lessons that take no more than ten minutes, offers you the means to build a focused and comprehensive study plan. Presentation of the material through the videos and written transcripts, measurement and evaluation through lesson quizzes and chapter tests, and the availability of expert instructors and subject-matter specialists provide you with all of the resources you need. When you have questions, we have answers, and we place them at your fingertips.
1. Creating & Interpreting Scatterplots: Process & Examples
Scatterplots are a great visual representation of two sets of data. In this lesson, you will learn how to interpret bivariate data to create scatterplots and understand the relationship between the two variables.
2. Simple Linear Regression: Definition, Formula & Examples
Simple linear regression is a great way to make observations and interpret data. In this lesson, you will learn to find the regression line of a set of data using a ruler and a graphing calculator.
3. Problem Solving Using Linear Regression: Steps & Examples
Linear regression can be a powerful tool for predicting and interpreting information. Learn to use two common formulas for linear regression in this lesson.
4. The Correlation Coefficient: Definition, Formula & Example
The correlation coefficient is an equation that is used to determine the strength of the relationship between two variables. This lesson helps you understand it by breaking the equation down.
5. How to Interpret Correlations in Research Results
Perhaps the most common statistic you'll see from psychology is a correlation. Do you know how to correctly interpret correlations when you see them? This lesson covers everything you need to know.
6. Correlation vs. Causation: Differences & Definition
When conducting experiments and analyzing data, many people often confuse the concepts of correlation and causation. In this lesson, you will learn the differences between the two and how to identify one over the other.
7. Interpreting Linear Relationships Using Data: Practice Problems
Understanding linear relationships is an important part of understanding statistics. This lesson will help you review linear relationships and will go through three practice problems to help you retain your knowledge. When you are finished, test out your knowledge with a short quiz!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Mathematics 6-12 (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Math Test
- FTCE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- FTCE Math: Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Linear Inequalities
- FTCE Math: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- FTCE Math: Rational Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Radical Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Complex Numbers
- FTCE Math: Quadratics
- FTCE Math: Polynomials
- FTCE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Equations
- FTCE Math: Vector Operations
- FTCE Math: Sequences & Series
- FTCE Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- FTCE Math: Functions
- FTCE Math: Piecewise Functions
- FTCE Math: Area & Perimeter
- FTCE Math: Surface Area & Volume
- FTCE Math: Foundations of Geometry
- FTCE Math: Lines & Angles
- FTCE Math: Geometric Construction
- FTCE Math: Properties of Triangles
- FTCE Math: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Right Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- FTCE Math: Circles & Arcs
- FTCE Math: Conic Sections
- FTCE Math: Coordinate Geometry
- FTCE Math: Transformations in Geometry
- FTCE Math: Trigonometry
- FTCE Math: Overview of Statistics
- FTCE Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- FTCE Math: Graphic Representations of Data
- FTCE Math: Sampling in Statistics
- FTCE Math: Probability
- FTCE Math: Limits
- FTCE Math: Rate of Change
- FTCE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- FTCE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- FTCE Math: Integration & Integration Techniques
- FTCE Math: Integration Applications
- FTCE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- FTCE Math: Teaching Strategies & Methods
- FTCE Math: Assessing Student Learning
- FTCE Math: Manipulatives & Models in the Classroom
- FTCE Math: Problem-Solving Strategies
- FTCE Mathematics 6-12 Flashcards