About This Chapter
FTCE Math: Teaching Strategies & Methods - Chapter Summary
Lessons in this chapter explore teaching strategies and methods, such as higher order thinking questions and scaffolding in teaching. When you finish this chapter, you should also be well-prepared for FTCE Math exam questions that address the following:
- Strategies for teaching math facts to kids
- Teaching math vocabulary
- Expository instruction
Short, engaging video lessons thoroughly explain each subject, and knowledgeable instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. Self-assessment quizzes ensure your full understanding and retention of the material.
1. Teaching Math: Methods & Strategies
Teachers play an important role in fostering mathematics skills. In this lesson, learn some good ways to teach math methods and problem-solving strategies.
2. Higher Order Thinking Questions for Math Teachers
In classrooms across the country, higher order thinking questions are used on a daily basis. It can be challenging to incorporate higher order thinking questions into math instruction, but it is essential in helping students make connections to mathematical material.
3. Scaffolding in Teaching: Tips & Strategies
In this lesson we'll cover some strategies and tips involved in scaffolding your students' learning. Scaffolding is defined, as is its supporting theory, and a short quiz follows.
4. How to Teach Math Facts to Kids
Teaching math facts can be a daunting task. Using a variety of instructional strategies, such as music, movement, games, flashcards, foldables, and T-charts, keeps math practice exciting, thus increasing student motivation and memorization.
5. How to Teach Math Vocabulary
This lesson will highlight ways in which you can teach math vocabulary to your students. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge about math-related teaching strategies.
6. Expository Approaches to Instruction
Good expository instruction goes beyond just giving information to students. In this lesson, we describe effective expository instruction and how it is used to structure lessons in a way that optimizes learning.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Mathematics 6-12 (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Math Test
- FTCE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- FTCE Math: Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Linear Inequalities
- FTCE Math: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- FTCE Math: Rational Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Radical Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Complex Numbers
- FTCE Math: Quadratics
- FTCE Math: Polynomials
- FTCE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Equations
- FTCE Math: Vector Operations
- FTCE Math: Sequences & Series
- FTCE Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- FTCE Math: Functions
- FTCE Math: Piecewise Functions
- FTCE Math: Area & Perimeter
- FTCE Math: Surface Area & Volume
- FTCE Math: Foundations of Geometry
- FTCE Math: Lines & Angles
- FTCE Math: Geometric Construction
- FTCE Math: Properties of Triangles
- FTCE Math: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Right Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- FTCE Math: Circles & Arcs
- FTCE Math: Conic Sections
- FTCE Math: Coordinate Geometry
- FTCE Math: Transformations in Geometry
- FTCE Math: Trigonometry
- FTCE Math: Overview of Statistics
- FTCE Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- FTCE Math: Regression & Correlation
- FTCE Math: Graphic Representations of Data
- FTCE Math: Sampling in Statistics
- FTCE Math: Probability
- FTCE Math: Limits
- FTCE Math: Rate of Change
- FTCE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- FTCE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- FTCE Math: Integration & Integration Techniques
- FTCE Math: Integration Applications
- FTCE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- FTCE Math: Assessing Student Learning
- FTCE Math: Manipulatives & Models in the Classroom
- FTCE Math: Problem-Solving Strategies
- FTCE Mathematics 6-12 Flashcards