About This Chapter
FTCE Math: Transformations in Geometry - Chapter Summary
Get ready for the FTCE Math exam by refreshing your knowledge of different kinds of transformations in geometry. Each video lesson will provide you with examples of the transformations it covers. This study aid will help you review:
- General information and definitions of the transformations
- The meaning of translation and how it works
- Specific changes associated with dilation
- How rotation works and the function of rotational symmetry
- Basics related to reflection and glide reflection
You can use the examples and quizzes associated with each lesson to focus on individual transformations. Once you've completed them all, you will be prepared for this section of the FTCE math test.
1. Transformations in Math: Definition & Graph
In geometry, transformation refers to the movement of objects in the coordinate plane. This lesson will define and give examples of each of the four common transformations and end with a quiz to make sure you are moving in the right direction.
2. What is Translation in Math? - Definition, Examples, & Terms
In mathematics, translation refers to moving an object without changing it in any other way. This lesson will describe how to translate an object and give some examples. A quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
3. Dilation in Math: Definition & Meaning
Dilations are transformations that change figures in specific ways. Learn about these changes and how to complete dilations here. Then test your understanding with a quiz.
4. Rotations in Math: Definition & Overview
A geometric rotation refers to the rotating of a figure around a center of rotation. This lesson will get you going on rotations, give you some examples, and end with a quiz that tests your knowledge of rotations.
5. What is Rotational Symmetry? - Definition & Examples
If you have ever tried to hang a picture and not been able to tell which end was up, then your picture might have had rotational symmetry. Rotational symmetry is the characteristic that makes an object look the same even after you've rotated it.
6. Reflections in Math: Definition & Overview
A reflection of an object is a 'flip' of that object across a line. This lesson will describe the basics of reflection, how to recognize one and how to create one.
7. Glide Reflection in Geometry: Definition & Example
In this lesson, we will look at transformations of geometric figures and concentrate on one type of transformation in particular: a glide reflection. Through a definition and examples, we will become comfortable with this type of transformation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Mathematics 6-12 (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Math Test
- FTCE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- FTCE Math: Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Linear Inequalities
- FTCE Math: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- FTCE Math: Rational Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Radical Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Complex Numbers
- FTCE Math: Quadratics
- FTCE Math: Polynomials
- FTCE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Equations
- FTCE Math: Vector Operations
- FTCE Math: Sequences & Series
- FTCE Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- FTCE Math: Functions
- FTCE Math: Piecewise Functions
- FTCE Math: Area & Perimeter
- FTCE Math: Surface Area & Volume
- FTCE Math: Foundations of Geometry
- FTCE Math: Lines & Angles
- FTCE Math: Geometric Construction
- FTCE Math: Properties of Triangles
- FTCE Math: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Right Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- FTCE Math: Circles & Arcs
- FTCE Math: Conic Sections
- FTCE Math: Coordinate Geometry
- FTCE Math: Trigonometry
- FTCE Math: Overview of Statistics
- FTCE Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- FTCE Math: Regression & Correlation
- FTCE Math: Graphic Representations of Data
- FTCE Math: Sampling in Statistics
- FTCE Math: Probability
- FTCE Math: Limits
- FTCE Math: Rate of Change
- FTCE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- FTCE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- FTCE Math: Integration & Integration Techniques
- FTCE Math: Integration Applications
- FTCE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- FTCE Math: Teaching Strategies & Methods
- FTCE Math: Assessing Student Learning
- FTCE Math: Manipulatives & Models in the Classroom
- FTCE Math: Problem-Solving Strategies
- FTCE Mathematics 6-12 Flashcards