About This Chapter
FTCE: Measurement - Chapter Summary
Boost your measurements skills in preparation for the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) General Knowledge Test with these video lessons. You'll learn about various customary and metric units of measure and the instruments used to gauge them. You'll also learn to solve real-world problems involving measurements. This chapter covers various topics, including:
- Determining perimeter and area of triangles, rectangles and other shapes
- Calculating volume of shapes, including cylinders, spheres and prisms
- Finding area and circumference of a circle
- Solving real-world problems with length, weight, mass, perimeter, area, capacity and volume
- Solving real-world problems involving rated measures and estimates of measures
- Choosing the correct reading using instruments
Objectives of the FTCE: Measurement Chapter
To earn the certification you'll need to teach public school in the state of Florida, you must pass the FTCE General Knowledge Test, which assesses your abilities in mathematics, reading, English and writing. The multiple-choice format math subtest gives test takers 100 minutes to complete 45 questions, approximately 10 of which address measurement. Students can use a four-function calculator, which is provided to you by the testing center.
To figure out how much you remember - or have yet to learn - about measurement, you can complete the self-assessment quizzes that accompany each video lesson. Taking these quizzes more than once can show you whether you're improving or whether you need to seek additional help.
1. How to Convert Units in the Metric System
If you can make dinner, you can convert units in the metric system. It's that easy! In this lesson, you'll learn about the three key things you'll need to perform conversions.
2. Using Measurement to Solve Real-World Problems
This lesson uses fundamental and derived units with unit conversions to solve real-world problems like interpreting blueprints, counting the calories of a low-fat food, and estimating arrival time for high-speed driving.
3. Converting Numbers to Scientific Notation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert any number you come across into scientific notation. You will also learn why scientific notation is used and where you are most likely to see it.
4. Changing Units in the Customary System of Measurement
Explore customary units and how they can be converted using simple ratios. You will learn the steps for performing a unit conversion calculation with a series of examples and practice problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE General Knowledge Test (GK) (082): Study Guide & Prep course
- About the FTCE General Knowledge Test
- FTCE: Word Choice
- FTCE: Sentence Structure
- FTCE: Grammar Skills
- FTCE: Spelling, Capitalization & Punctuation
- FTCE: Essay Skills
- FTCE: Essay Writing
- FTCE: Literal Reading Comprehension
- FTCE: Inferential Comprehension
- FTCE: Number Sense and Math Operations
- FTCE: Geometry and Spatial Sense
- FTCE: Algebraic Thinking
- FTCE: The Coordinate Plane
- FTCE: Data Analysis
- FTCE: Probability
- Studying for FTCE General Knowledge
- FTCE General Knowledge Test Flashcards