About This Chapter
FTCE Middle Grades English: Language Development - Chapter Summary
Don't let the process of preparing for the FTCE Middle Grades English assessment feel like a chore. You can take advantage of fun video lessons in this chapter which provides you with a comprehensive overview of language development. After watching each lesson, you will have the knowledge to:
- Define language, and share the nativist perspective as it relates to language development
- Discuss language acquisition and the stages of language development
- Explain linguistics as it relates to language development in children
- Share the development and types of language skills in children
- Identify and describe characteristics of speech sound errors
- Describe the effects of environment and culture on language development
In this chapter, you can review lessons in any sequence that suits your studies. Access lessons as entertaining videos or full transcripts that feature helpful vocabulary words. If your preference is to watch video lessons, but you don't feel you need to watch them in full, skip to key topics by using timelines with clickable video tags. At any time, you can test your knowledge of the lessons by taking their short quizzes. A chapter exam is also available to reinforce concepts explored in the lessons.
1. What Is Language?
Have you ever wondered how human language is constructed to form meaning? Why is language more complex than animal calls? In this lesson, we'll take a look at the basic units language and learn how meaning is formed.
2. The Nativist Perspective and Language Development
In this lesson, learn how we develop language according to the nativist perspective. Discover Noam Chomsky's idea of the language acquisition device (LAD) and its role in this process.
3. Language Acquisition: Definition, Theories & Stages
Have you ever wondered how humans are able to learn, process, comprehend and speak a language? In this lesson on language acquisition, we'll take a look at some distinctions between languages and learn how babies come to understand and speak a language.
4. Stages of Language Development: Pre-Linguistic and Symbolic Language
How does language expression emerge in children? Learn about the development of syntax in children through the pre-linguistic and linguistic stages of language development in this lesson.
5. Linguistics: Language Development in Children
How does a baby's babble turn into intelligible speech? Are there underlining innate traits that drive language development in children? Or is it the social interaction with others that encourages language development? This lesson will explore these questions and discuss how aspects of language change over time.
6. Language Skills in Children: Development, Definition & Types
The development of language skills in young children is a multi-step process that is both fascinating and complex. Learn how language skills are formed, important milestones for language development and test your knowledge with quiz questions.
7. Characteristics of Speech Sound Errors: Speech & Communication Disorders
In this lesson, we explore speech sound disorders, which include articulation deficits, phonological process disorder and fluency disorder. Also learn the characteristics of each of these disorders.
8. The Effects of Environment and Culture on Language Development
Both environmental and cultural factors have an impact on early language development. This lesson will provide examples to consider and discuss possible reasons for this impact.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Middle Grades English 5-9 (014): Test Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Middle Grades English Test
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Human Growth & Development
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Developmental Learning Theories
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Childhood Development
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Development in Adolescence
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Instructional Strategies
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Instructional Pedagogy
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Multicultural & Diverse Learning
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Phonology & Word Identification
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Teaching & Acquiring Vocabulary
- FTCE Middle Grades English: English Grammar & Conventions
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Syntax & Sentence Structure
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Reading Comprehension
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Reading Interpretation
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Informational Texts
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Expository Texts
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Persuasive & Functional Texts
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Literary Genres
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Literary Texts
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Rhetorical Devices
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Brainstorming & Writing Organization
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Writing Strategy
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Essay Structure
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Using Source Materials
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Listening Basics
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Presentation Delivery
- FTCE Middle Grades English: Assessments of Learning
- FTCE Middle Grades English 5-9 Flashcards