About This Chapter
FTCE Middle Grades Math: Fractions - Chapter Summary
Make sure you're prepared to find solutions to problems involving fractions by studying this chapter. Doing so could help you answer questions on fractions when you take the FTCE Middle Grades Math exam. These video lessons will walk you through the steps involved in:
- Building, reducing, comparing and ordering fractions
- Finding the least common denominator
- Defining equivalent fractions
- Converting improper fractions to mixed numbers
- Adding and subtracting like and unlike fractions
- Multiplying and dividing mixed numbers and fractions
- Working with fractions and mixed numbers
- Solving complex fractions
Each lesson features a qualified instructor who shows you how to perform these computations. You can put what you know into practice with the quizzes associated with each lesson as well as the chapter test.
1. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
2. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
3. What are Equivalent Fractions? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review some fraction terminology and then learn what equivalent fractions are. Afterward, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
4. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
5. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
6. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
7. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
8. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
9. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions don't just live in math problems. They're all around us, helping us through our lives. In this lesson, we'll look at real scenarios where your ability to work with fractions can save the day.
10. How to Solve Complex Fractions
Did you know fractions can nest within fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about complex fractions and look at two different methods for solving them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Preparatory Mathematics: Help and Review course
- Math Foundations: Help and Review
- Problem Solving & Reasoning Skills
- Percents in Math Basics
- Decimals & Fractions Overview
- Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Solving and Graphing Inequalities: Help and Review
- Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations: Help and Review
- Complex and Imaginary Numbers: Help and Review
- Properties of Exponents: Help and Review
- Properties of Polynomial Functions: Help and Review
- Simplifying and Solving Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Properties of Functions: Help and Review
- Logarithms and Exponential Equations: Help and Review
- Data & Estimation
- Logic in Math: Help and Review
- Sets: Help and Review
- Basic Probability and Statistics: Help and Review
- Geometric Laws & Proofs
- Geometry in College Preparatory Math: Help and Review
- Grade Level Math Vocabulary: Help and Review