About This Chapter
FTCE Middle Grades Math: Instructional Strategies & Tools - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive overview offers the definitions, explanations and examples you need to fully understand the instructional strategies and tools you will need to use in the classroom as a middle grades math teacher. Prepare for related questions on the FTCE Middle Grades Math assessment by reviewing lessons that enable you to:
- Share ways to use mathematical models to solve problems
- Describe SMART and Promethean Boards
- Provide the definition of manipulatives in education, and explain how to use math manipulatives to answer word problems
- Explain how to use visuals to present data, and differentiate between textual graphics and visual graphics
- Demonstrate how to solve equations by graphing on a graphing calculator
- Discuss expository approaches to instruction and advance organizers in the classroom
- Describe ways to empower students with technology
Enjoy entertaining video lessons presented by subject-matter experts with a vast background in edcuation. Review the lessons at your leisure, watching them in any sequence and as often as needed until you feel prepared for the exam. Test your comprehension by taking short quizzes and a practice chapter exam. If you have questions about lesson topics, feel free to submit them to our experts.
1. Teaching Math: Methods & Strategies
Teachers play an important role in fostering mathematics skills. In this lesson, learn some good ways to teach math methods and problem-solving strategies.
2. Higher Order Thinking Questions for Math Teachers
In classrooms across the country, higher order thinking questions are used on a daily basis. It can be challenging to incorporate higher order thinking questions into math instruction, but it is essential in helping students make connections to mathematical material.
3. Scaffolding in Teaching: Tips & Strategies
In this lesson we'll cover some strategies and tips involved in scaffolding your students' learning. Scaffolding is defined, as is its supporting theory, and a short quiz follows.
4. How to Teach Math Vocabulary
This lesson will highlight ways in which you can teach math vocabulary to your students. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge about math-related teaching strategies.
5. Expository Approaches to Instruction
Good expository instruction goes beyond just giving information to students. In this lesson, we describe effective expository instruction and how it is used to structure lessons in a way that optimizes learning.
6. Manipulatives in Education: Definition, Examples & Classroom Applications
Find out what manipulatives are and how they're used in an educational setting. Learn how to apply manipulatives to lessons in your classroom. Read the lesson, then take a quiz to test your new knowledge.
7. How to Use Math Manipulatives to Answer Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will see what a math manipulative is, how you can use almost anything as a math manipulative, and how you can use these manipulatives to help you solve word problems.
8. Advance Organizers in the Classroom: Teaching Strategies & Advantages
An advance organizer is a very useful tool for teachers to help students understand, retain and remember new learning material. In this lesson, we define an advance organizer and discuss examples and benefits of use in the classroom.
9. Empowering Students with Technology
As technology becomes more prevalent in the classroom, teachers have new ways to empower student learning. This lesson will explain how technology can be used to empower students.
10. What Is a Smart Board?
In this lesson, we'll examine the basic functions of a SMART Board. We'll also discuss add-on hardware and software that can be used with a SMART Board. Test your knowledge by completing a short quiz afterwards.
11. What Is a Promethean Board?
Promethean Boards are a type of technology being integrated into classrooms more frequently. This lesson will introduce you to the Promethean Board and help you see why it's becoming such a valuable tool.
12. Solving Equations by Graphing on a Graphing Calculator
One of the most useful aspects of having a graphing calculator is to be able to use it to solve equations. However, the word 'solve' has multiple potential meanings, as this lesson will demonstrate.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Middle Grades Mathematics 5-9 (025): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Middle Grades Mathematics Test
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Problem-Solving Strategies
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: The Real Number System
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Ratios & Proportions
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Factoring
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Solving Word Problems
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Distributing in Algebra
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Rational Expressions
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Square Roots
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Radical Expressions
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Linear Equations
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Introduction to Functions
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Graphing Functions
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Quadratic Functions
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Polynomial Functions
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Summarizing Data
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Charting Data
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Sampling
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Probability Distributions
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Lines & Angles
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Properties of Triangles
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Right Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Area & Perimeter
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Coordinate Geometry
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Transformations in Geometry
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Principles of Measurement
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Surface Area & Volume
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Connecting Math Concepts
- FTCE Middle Grades Math: Assessing Student Learning
- FTCE Middle Grades Mathematics 5-9 Flashcards