About This Chapter
Function of Management Overview - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, your employees will study short and simple lessons that outline the basic functions of management. Taught by expert business instructors, this chapter helps employees learn or review decision-making steps, problem-solving methods for managers, leadership functions and more. The chapter includes short quizzes and an exam that reinforce the lesson topics. Assign the chapter to your employees at any time that fits their schedules, and have them submit questions to our experts if they need any extra help.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: The chapter helps employees become aware of essential management functions, decision-making steps and problem-solving methods
- Provides helpful strategies: Our lessons offer useful techniques and strategies that can help managerial and supervisory employees become more effective at making decisions and solving problems
- Boosts managerial skills: Employees who complete this chapter will be able to apply the chapter's concepts to become more effective leaders
By the end of the chapter, your employees will be able to:
- Discuss the functions of planning, organizing, leading and controlling in management
- Explain the applications of the seven steps of decision making
- Compare types of problem-solving methods that are used in supervision and management
1. Four Functions of Management: Planning, Organizing, Leading & Controlling
A person who holds a management position inside an organization is required to think strategically and conceptually in order to achieve organizational goals. This lesson will describe the four functions of management and how they relate to organizational success.
2. The Seven Steps of Decision Making
Effective decision-making is an essential skill for every manager. In this lesson, you'll learn about a seven-step process for effective decision-making. You'll also have an opportunity to take a short quiz after the lesson.
3. Practical Application: Seven Steps of Decision Making Infographic
This infographic will help supervisors with the decision making process. Here, you can visually follow the seven steps of decision-making to come to the right choice.
4. Types of Problem Solving Methods in Management and Supervision
A big part of management and supervision is solving problems. In this lesson, we'll take a look at a few problem-solving methods that can be used to solve typical problems facing managers and supervisors. A short quiz follows.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Supervision: Skills Development & Training course
- Roles & Responsibilities of the Supervisor Overview
- Planning & Controls as Management Functions Overview
- Organizing as a Management Function Overview
- Leadership in Management Overview
- Staffing & Labor Management in Organizations Overview
- Managing Diversity & Global Organizations Overview
- Communication as a Supervisor Overview