About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your functions basics for precalculus homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your functions basics for precalculus homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Function notation
- Domain and range in a function
- Graphs of power functions
- Graphs of radical functions
- Transformations of graphs
1. What is a Function: Basics and Key Terms
Mapping numbers sounds complex, but we do it when we buy gasoline. We pump gasoline, and the gas station charges us based on the amount of gas that we pump. Learn how this relates to functions while reviewing the basics and notations in this lesson.
2. Functions: Identification, Notation & Practice Problems
A function is simply a rule that takes one number and turns it into another. But some special conditions must apply for it to be a true mathematical function. Learn about those conditions and how we write functions here!
3. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
The domain and range are the possible outputs and inputs of a function. In this lesson, learn about what might restrict the domain and how to figure out the domain and range from a graph.
4. What is a Power Function? - Definition, Equations, Graphs & Examples
Power functions have many different varieties of graphs. Use this lesson to distinguish the difference between different types of power functions. Test your knowledge with a short quiz after the lesson!
5. What is a Radical Function? - Definition, Equations & Graphs
Radical functions operate very differently than regular functions. This lesson covers the definitions, equations, and graphs that you will need to know to be successful with radical functions.
6. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
7. Product Of Powers: Definition, Rule & Property
The product of powers rule states that when multiplying two powers with the same base, just add the exponents. Confused yet? This lesson will clear everything up, give some examples and provide a quiz for you to test your knowledge.
8. Counterexample in Math: Definition & Examples
Counterexamples are a useful tool in mathematics. Learn what a counterexample is and how it can be used to prove the boundaries of theorems. You will also look at some examples across different branches of mathematics.
9. Cyclic Quadrilateral: Definition, Properties & Rules
In this lesson, you will learn about a certain type of geometric shape called a cyclic quadrilateral and discover some properties and rules concerning these shapes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Precalculus: Homework Help Resource course
- Working with Linear Equations: Homework Help
- Working With Inequalities: Homework Help
- Absolute Value Equations: Homework Help
- Working with Complex Numbers: Homework Help
- Systems of Linear Equations: Homework Help
- Mathematical Modeling: Homework Help
- Introduction to Quadratics: Homework Help
- Working with Quadratic Functions: Homework Help
- Geometry Basics for Precalculus: Homework Help
- Understanding Function Operations: Homework Help
- Graph Symmetry: Homework Help
- Graphing with Functions: Homework Help
- Rate of Change in Precalculus: Homework Help
- Polynomial Functions Basics: Homework Help
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions: Homework Help
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients: Homework Help
- Rational Expressions and Function Graphs: Homework Help
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Functions: Homework Help
- Using Trigonometric Functions: Homework Help
- Trigonometric Graphs: Homework Help
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Homework Help
- Trigonometric Identities: Homework Help
- Trigonometric Applications in Precalculus: Homework Help
- Graphing Piecewise Functions: Homework Help
- Vectors, Matrices and Determinants: Homework Help
- Mathematical Sequences and Series: Homework Help
- Sets in Algebra: Homework Help
- Analytic Geometry and Conic Sections: Homework Help
- Polar Coordinates and Parameterizations: Homework Help
- Continuity in Precalculus: Homework Help
- Limits in Precalculus: Homework Help