About This Chapter
Who's It For:
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering functions for business calculus material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn functions for business calculus. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding functions for business calculus
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning business (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about functions for business calculus
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra business learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Functions for Business Calculus chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Functions for Business Calculus chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about functions for business calculus. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a functions unit of a standard business calculus course. Topics covered include:
- Definitions, graphing, and properties of functions
- Compound and inverse functions
- Composing functions
- Function operations
1. What is a Function: Basics and Key Terms
Mapping numbers sounds complex, but we do it when we buy gasoline. We pump gasoline, and the gas station charges us based on the amount of gas that we pump. Learn how this relates to functions while reviewing the basics and notations in this lesson.
2. Graphing Basic Functions
Graphs are just like maps - when you know the language! Review how locations have x and y coordinates similar to latitude and longitude, and how to plot points in the Cartesian plane.
3. Compounding Functions and Graphing Functions of Functions
We know that functions map numbers to other numbers, so what happens when you have a function of a function? Welcome to functions within functions, the realm of composite functions!
4. Understanding and Graphing the Inverse Function
If you use a function to map a to b, is there a way to go back from b to a again? Learn how to find and graph inverse functions so that you can turn a into b and back into a.
5. Identify Where a Function is Linear, Increasing or Decreasing, Positive or Negative
Functions do all kinds of fun things. In this lesson, learn how to identify traits of functions such as linear or nonlinear, increasing or decreasing and positive or negative.
6. Linearization of Functions
Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house we go ... Are we there yet? In this lesson, apply linearization to estimate when we will finally get to Grandma's house!
7. How to Compose Functions
Function composition is the process of putting two or more functions together. This video lesson will explain how this process works and also show you how to evaluate functions that have been composed.
8. Applying Function Operations Practice Problems
In this lesson, learn how to apply all the different properties of functions to solve complex problems. From function operations and composition to domain and range, get your practice here!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business Calculus: Help & Review course
- Working with Limits in Business Calculus
- Derivatives & Differentiation in Business Calculus
- Calculating & Graphing Derivatives in Business Calculus
- Derivatives of Functions in Business Calculus
- Optimization in Business Calculus
- Logarithms in Business Calculus
- Integrals in Business Calculus
- Growth Models in Business Calculus
- Multi-Variable Calculus