About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other AP calculus work.
- Identify the functions concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our AP calculus tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about functions for AP calculus and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding function identification, transformations, domain and range, function operations, inverse functions or any other functions topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their functions unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in AP calculus
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about functions for AP calculus simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live calculus tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about functions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Identify functions.
- Learn how to perform transformations.
- Explain the significance of domain and range in a function.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide functions.
- Compose functions.
- Solve inverse functions.
- Learn how to apply function operations.
1. Functions: Identification, Notation & Practice Problems
A function is simply a rule that takes one number and turns it into another. But some special conditions must apply for it to be a true mathematical function. Learn about those conditions and how we write functions here!
2. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
3. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
The domain and range are the possible outputs and inputs of a function. In this lesson, learn about what might restrict the domain and how to figure out the domain and range from a graph.
4. How to Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide Functions
Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing functions is about as simple as substituting in expressions and then just doing whichever operation it asks you to do. Check out this video lesson to see some examples of this and learn just how easy it is!
5. How to Compose Functions
Function composition is the process of putting two or more functions together. This video lesson will explain how this process works and also show you how to evaluate functions that have been composed.
6. Inverse Functions
Inverse functions are two functions that do exactly opposite things. Check out this lesson to learn about how to write inverse functions, find inverse functions, and predict whether or not they exist.
7. Applying Function Operations Practice Problems
In this lesson, learn how to apply all the different properties of functions to solve complex problems. From function operations and composition to domain and range, get your practice here!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Calculus AB & BC: Tutoring Solution course
- Graphing and Functions in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Sequences and Series in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Limits in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Continuity in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Exponentials and Logarithms in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Exponents and Polynomials in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Applications of Derivatives in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- AP Calculus - Derivatives Calculations & Rules: Tutoring Solution
- Differential Equations in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Area Under the Curve and Integrals in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- AP Calculus - Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule: Tutoring Solution
- AP Calculus - Integration: Tutoring Solution
- Integration Applications in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Rate of Change in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Geometry and Trigonometry in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- How to Use Scientific Calculators for AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution