About This Chapter
Fundamental Algebraic Expressions - Chapter Summary
The math video lessons in this chapter focus on several concepts involving algebraic expressions. Instructors discuss variables, simplifying algebraic expressions and how to use these expressions to represent relationships. You'll also review some important mathematical properties. After viewing the chapter's lessons, you should be able to:
- Define variable
- Represent relationships using algebraic expressions
- Evaluate simple algebraic expressions
- Explain the cumulative, associative and distributive properties
- Combine like terms in algebraic expressions
- Simplify algebraic expressions
Our videos are usually less than 10 minutes long and contain numerous example problems to help you study math concepts. Video tags allow you to go back and view excerpts without having to rewatch the entire lessons. We also provide transcripts and they often have links to other text lessons with details about important terms. You can test your understanding of algebraic expressions by taking the self-assessment quizzes accompanying each lesson.
1. What is a Variable in Algebra?
Did you ever encounter something like a + b = c and wonder how all these letters snuck into a math problem? In this lesson, we'll learn about variables, as well as other parts of equations, constants and coefficients.
2. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
3. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
4. The Commutative and Associative Properties and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is important and useful, but a few mathematical properties highlight cases where order doesn't matter. In this lesson, we'll learn about the commutative and associative properties, which may save you time and effort.
5. The Distributive Property and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is great. But sometimes we need to bend the rules to simplify an equation. Fortunately, the distributive property gives us a scenario in which this is okay. Learn all about it in this lesson.
6. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
7. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Study Guide course
- Computation with Integers
- Negative Numbers
- Absolute Value
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Proportions, Ratios & Averages
- Simplifying Algebraic Fractions
- Rational Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Overview of Inequalities
- Systems of Equations & Inequalities
- Algebraic Word Problems
- Algebraic Distribution
- Writing Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Solving One-Step Equations
- Writing & Solving Multi-Step Equations
- Probability, Chance & Fundamental Counting Techniques
- Interpreting Visual Displays of Data
- Basic Geometry Calculations
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Coordinate & Transformational Geometry
- Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Flashcards