About This Chapter
Fundamental Concepts in Project Management - Chapter Summary
Explore this chapter's lessons to study the fundamentals of project management teams, frameworks, plans and budgets. These short topical lessons explain basic project management topics, such as scheduling components and responsibility assignment matrices, in a way that's easy to understand and remember. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Describe common roles and structures of project management teams
- Interpret the responsibility assignment matrix
- Outline an entire project management framework
- Recognize the scheduling components that are involved in project management plans
- Assess effective project budgeting techniques
The chapter is entirely self-paced, and we've included a handful of quizzes to help you retain your project management knowledge. Your dashboard keeps track of your progress throughout the chapter, and you can submit questions to our instructors if you have any. These resources are accessible on any computer or mobile device.
1. Project Management Team: Structure & Roles
This lesson discusses the basic principles of project team organization, describing in detail the good, bad, and the ugly of the commonly used core team structure.
2. Responsibility Assignment Matrix: Definition & Example
The Responsibility Assignment Matrix, also known as a Responsibility Accountability Matrix or RACI matrix is a key component of completing a project successfully. It identifies the role each person plays and what they are accountable for.
3. What is a Project Management Framework? - Definition & Examples
This lesson describes how a project management framework assures successful project completion. You will learn what a project management framework is, the stages involved, and the three major parts of the framework.
4. Scheduling Components for Project Management Plans
This lesson will consider the components that should be included in a comprehensive project schedule and explain how that schedule needs to support the overall project plan.
5. Project Time Management: Definition, Process & Techniques
In this lesson, we will learn about project time management. We'll define the term and explore the process as well as three techniques that can help project managers be more efficient with their time. At the end, test your knowledge with a quiz.
6. What Are Milestones in Project Management? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll learn about project milestones, including what they are and how they're used to measure a project's progress. We'll also explore examples of project milestones and find out which questions to ask when determining a milestone.
7. Project Budgeting: Definition & Techniques
Have you ever wondered how a project manager develops a budget? There are a few types of estimating techniques that a project manager can use to develop a budget, and we'll discuss four of them in this lesson.
8. Construction Project Management: Definition & Examples
How are construction projects managed? Well, construction management is the process of managing construction projects. Let's step inside the world of construction management.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Certified Safety Professional (CSP): Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Core Concepts in Anatomy
- Fundamental Concepts in Chemistry
- Overview of Physics Concepts
- Microbiology for Safety Professionals
- Mathematical Concepts Overview
- Statistics for Interpreting Data
- Principles of Research Methodology
- Management Planning & Strategic Analysis
- Management Systems for Safety Professionals
- Organizational Leadership & Management Theories
- Motivation, Discipline & Communication in the Workplace
- Budgeting & Finance for Safety Professionals
- Principles of Risk Management for Safety Professionals
- Safety Management for Safety Professionals
- Workplace Hazards & Protective Equipment
- Emergency Preparedness & Security for Safety Professionals
- Occupational Health & Ergonomics
- Environmental Management Systems for Safety Professionals
- Workplace Training & Education
- Law & Ethics for Safety Professionals