About This Chapter
Fundamental Customer Service Skills - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons offer an overview of the skills needed for effective customer service, including the importance of communication and attitude. Your employees will explore topics including:
- Types of customer service
- Soft and hard skills needed by customer service representatives
- Why communication is important in customer service
- How knowledge of product and services can promote good customer relations
- The importance of cultivating a positive attitude
These short video lessons explain important skills for customer service, while the lesson quizzes allow your employees to assess their understanding. The quiz questions also provide an opportunity for employees in group corporate training sessions to discuss issues related to customer service skills.
How It Helps
- Defines expectations: These lessons explain the soft skills a customer service representative should possess, such as humor and conflict resolution, as well as hard skills, such as competency with customer service software. Having expectations defined makes it easier for each member of your customer service team to evaluate his or her training needs.
- Improves communication: Employees will polish basic communication skills, such as speaking clearly and listening carefully, and learn why communication is vital to good customer service.
- Develops good attitudes: By learning why a positive attitude is important and what constitutes positivity, members of your customer service team can develop behaviors that appeal to customers.
By the end of this chapter's lessons, employees should be prepared to:
- Explain the role of customer service in marketing
- List important soft and hard skills for customer service representatives
- Tell why good communication skills are vital for good customer service
- Discuss the usefulness of knowing about the company's products and services
- Understand the components of a positive attitude and how to become a customer advocate
1. What Is Customer Service? - Definition, Types & Role in Marketing
Customer service is the act of taking care of the customer's needs by providing and delivering professional, helpful, high quality service and assistance before, during, and after the customer's requirements are met.
2. Important Soft Skills for Good Customer Service
This lesson focuses on the interpersonal, or soft, skills needed to provide great customer service. We'll spend some time discussing why these skills are important and how they can help you provide the best service possible.
3. Important Hard Skills for Customer Service
There are many different skills needed in customer service and having the right ones is essential. This lesson will define hard skills and discuss several examples.
4. The Importance of Good Communication with Customers
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of developing great communication skills with your customers. Learn more about how to apply these skills for clear and successful communication within the customer service setting.
5. The Importance of Knowing Your Products & Services
This lesson describes the importance of knowing your products and services. It also explains the value that knowing your products and services can add to the customer experience.
6. Maintaining a Positive Attitude in Customer Service
Customer service can profoundly affect the customer experience. This lesson discusses the importance of having a positive outlook while working in customer service. It includes information on setting the tone of an interaction, building strong customer relationships, and working to maintain an authentic demeanor.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Developing Strong Customer Service Skills course