About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Fundamental Science chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Vocabulary and the scientific method||Learning tips, study skills, word parts and basic scientific models|
|Tuesday||Experimental design||Measurable, objective results|
|Wednesday||Metric system||Common metric units and conversions of metric units|
|Thursday||Dimensional analysis||Use of dominoes to solve chemistry problems|
|Friday||Scientific graphs and charts||Bar graph, pie chart, X-axis, Y-axis, independent variable and dependent variable|
1. Science Vocabulary & Concepts: Study Skills & Word Parts
Learning science presents a unique set of challenges for students. In this lesson, learn the tricks of the trade as we discuss scientific vocabulary and other science study skills.
2. The Scientific Method: Steps, Terms & Examples
The scientific method is more than just hypotheses and experiments. In this lesson, we'll explore the themes and variations that make up the world of science.
3. Experimental Design in Science: Definition & Method
What are the requirements of a scientific experiment? How do scientists turn hypotheses into theories and laws? Learn the answers to these questions and more in this lesson on the design of scientific experiments.
4. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
5. Unit Conversion and Dimensional Analysis
How is solving a chemistry problem like playing dominoes? Watch this lesson to find out how you can use your domino skills to solve almost any chemistry problem.
6. How to Read Scientific Graphs & Charts
How do scientists summarize their findings with visual aids? In this lesson, explore the different types of tables, charts and graphs that scientists use. Learn to read these effectively as a preview to your science studies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Biology Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Basic Science Lab Skills Lesson Plans
- Inorganic Chemistry for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Enzymatic Biochemistry for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Cell Biology for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Requirements of Biological Systems Lesson Plans
- Cell Communication Lesson Plans
- Metabolic Biochemistry for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Cell Division for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Nucleic Acids: DNA and RNA Lesson Plans
- DNA Replication: Processes and Steps Lesson Plans
- The Transcription and Translation Process Lesson Plans
- Genetics: Principles of Heredity Lesson Plans
- Genetic Mutations for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- DNA Technology and Genomics Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Biology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Viruses Lesson Plans
- The Origin of the Universe and Life on Earth Lesson Plans
- Geologic Time for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Evolution for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Phylogeny and the Classification of Organisms Lesson Plans
- Plant Biology for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Plant Reproduction and Growth for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Fungi for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Invertebrates for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Vertebrates for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems Lesson Plans
- The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems Lesson Plans
- Animal Reproduction and Development Lesson Plans
- Human Reproductive Systems Lesson Plans
- Ecology and the Environment Lesson Plans
- Human Effects on the Environment Lesson Plans
- Animal Behavior for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Basic Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques Lesson Plans
- Analyzing Scientific Data for High School Biology Lesson Plans