About This Chapter
Fundamentals of Calculation - Chapter Summary
There are many different types of calculations to make, but fortunately the lessons from this chapter allow you to retouch on the fundamental principles and processes of those calculations. In the transcripts you'll find bolded mathematical terms along with precise definitions. Our lively lessons also elaborate on each type of calculation. At the end of this chapter, you will have refreshed your memory about the following:
- The meanings of mathematical symbols
- Examples of set notation and mathematical sequences
- Differences between geometric and arithmetic sequences
- Using summation notation to show a series
- Mathematical, geometric, and arithmetic series
- Formulas for determining compounding interest
- Typical measurement units for time, length, weight, and capacity
- Conversion formulas and basic operations for units of measurement
- Rules and definitions for significant digits
- Identifying percentages and related formulas
These basic concepts are probably something you have not gone over since your early studies into the field of mathematics. When it's been that long since you have learned something, a nice review will help get the cobwebs out of your memory. Our brief lessons offer a fast and entertaining way to get a recap on the fundamentals of calculation. In just a few minutes, you can complete an entire lesson, so making your way through all the lessons in a single chapter can be done in a lot less time than you might think.
1. Mathematical Symbols: List & Meanings
We need to know the meanings and usages of mathematical symbols, just like we need to know the meanings and usages of technical terms in any subject we are studying. We'll try to organize them in a meaningful way and look at a few examples.
2. Set Notation: Definition & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will know how to write a set using words and using mathematical symbols. You will also know how to define sets and how to interpret sets that are displayed in set notation.
3. What is a Mathematical Sequence?
Math is often the most fun when it acts like a puzzle to be solved. The branch of math where this is the most true involves sequences. Get an introduction to the basics and important vocabulary, as well as learn where sequences appear in nature!
4. How to Find and Classify an Arithmetic Sequence
Arithmetic sequences are everywhere, and with a few tricks you learn here, you could end up looking like a psychic the next time you go to a movie or a football game!
5. Finding and Classifying Geometric Sequences
Want your YouTube video to get a lot of hits? Besides including a cute baby or an adorable cat, getting your video to have a big common ratio is the key. Learn what I'm talking about here!
6. Summation Notation and Mathematical Series
The capital Greek letter sigma might be most recognizable as a common symbol in a fraternity or sorority, but it's used for some pretty cool math tricks too. In this lesson, learn how to use sigma for things like determining how many seats are in Michigan Stadium.
7. How to Calculate an Arithmetic Series
In this lesson, you'll learn how to sum up any arithmetic sequence without having to add up each and every term. You'll never guess the circumstances that led to the discovery of this marvelous formula.
8. How to Calculate a Geometric Series
If you're not satisfied with knowing how many views your YouTube video will get any one day and need to know how many total views you're getting, geometric series are for you! Learn more in this lesson.
9. Compounding Interest Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Compound interest is a great way to have your money work for you. In this lesson, find out the formula for calculating compound interest and practice using the formula with several examples.
10. Standard Units of Measurement for Length, Weight, Time & Capacity
Watch this video lesson to learn how to recognize the various units of measurement for length, weight, time and volume. Learn to recognize both U.S. units and metric units.
11. How to Convert Standard Units of Measure
The United States uses pounds, miles, and Fahrenheit for measurements, but the rest of the world uses the metric system. This video lesson will help you to convert from one to the other easily, so you can understand kilometers and kilograms, too.
12. How to Perform Basic Operations with Measurements
In this video lesson, you will learn how measurements are very much like variables when it comes to adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing them. You will also see examples of how they are done.
13. What Are Significant Digits? - Definition, Rules & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about significant digits and the rules used to identify the number of digits that are significant in a figure. We will also discuss the relevance of significant figures in our experiences.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Professional Readiness Examination (096): Practice & Study Guide course
- Basic Number Sense
- Mathematical Reasoning & Problem-Solving
- Logic in Mathematics
- Expressions, Functions & Operations
- Expressions & Equations in Algebra
- Understanding Algebraic Functions
- Using Algebraic Functions
- Polynomials, Rational Equations & Trigonometric Equations
- Introduction to Basic Geometry
- Measuring Geometric Figures
- Relationships Between Figures in Geometry
- Basics of Trigonometry
- Fundamentals of Statistics
- Bivariate Relationships in Statistics
- Using Tables & Graphs
- Interpreting Statistical Data
- Probability Overview
- Introduction to Conditional Probability & Diagrams
- Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings in English
- Literary Themes & Main Ideas
- Strategies for Effective Writing
- Reading Strategies & Literary Analysis
- Critical Reasoning for Test-Taking
- Conventions in Writing: Effective Usage
- Constructing Sentences & Paragraphs
- Argumentative Writing Overview
- Structuring Informational & Explanatory Texts
- MTTC Professional Readiness Flashcards