About This Chapter
Fundamentals of Cultural Research in Psychology - Chapter Summary
This chapter outlines the fundamentals of cultural research in psychology. As you work through these lessons, you'll review topics including the challenges associated with cultural psychology, the history of cross-cultural psychology and theoretical approaches to cultural analysis. Take your time and work at your own pace as you complete these lessons. The quiz provided along with each lesson makes a handy self-assessment tool before you move on. Feel free to study at your convenience with our learning materials, which are accessible 24 hours a day on any mobile device or computer. After finishing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the cultural context of personality research and theory
- Understand cultural differences through psychology
- Outline cultural differences in attributional patterns
- Define cultural perception and provide examples
- Identify the values associated with cultural norms
- Discuss theoretical perspectives of deviance
- Detail how culture affects physical and mental health
- Describe the impact culture identity has on early childhood development
- Differentiate between the executive and organizational functions of the self
- Assess the impact of culture, ethnicity and religion on personality and cognition
- Point out the impact of culture on social diversity
1. Cultural Psychology: Definition & Challenges
Cultural psychology is an exciting new sub-field of psychology that offers alternative explanations for how identities and cultures interact. Through this lesson, you will learn what defines the field and explore some of the theories that are contributing to an expanded understanding of psychology.
2. Cross-Cultural Psychology: Definition, History & Issues
In this lesson, we will go over the history, significance, and current application of cross-cultural psychology, an often overlooked yet incredibly important field of psychology.
3. Cultural Analysis: Theoretical Approaches
In this lesson, we cover three theoretical approaches used by sociologists to analyze culture: structural-functional theory, social-conflict theory, and sociobiology. We define and discuss each theory, along with examples.
4. Cultural Context of Personality Theory & Research
This lesson explores the cultural backgrounds of leading personality theorists in psychology. Putting context to the work of Sigmund Freud, B.F. Skinner, and Abraham Maslow allows us to gain a better understand of the inspiration behind it.
5. Understanding Cultural Differences through Psychology
If you are interested in learning more about cultural diversity, you might want to think about it through a psychological lens. This lesson discusses some of the ways to understand cultural differences through psychology.
6. Cultural Differences in Attributional Patterns
Why do people act the way they do? There are many factors. In this lesson, we discuss how cultural differences can determine attributional patterns. We define internal and external attributions and discuss the attributional tendencies of individualistic cultures compared to collectivistic cultures.
7. Cultural Perception: Definition & Examples
How does culture influence how an individual perceives their world? This lesson looks at how culture influences perception by defining the terms involved and providing examples of cultural perception.
8. Cultural Norms: Definition & Values
Cultural norms are what keep people moving in a similar direction. This lesson explains the relationship between cultural norms and values. We'll also look at an experiment that tells us about our willingness to conform.
9. Sociological Theories of Deviance: Definitions and Theoretical Perspectives
There is a diverse range of behaviors in society that goes against expectations and cultural norms. In this lesson, we define and go over some examples of the different types of deviance. We also discuss two sociological theories about deviance created by Emile Durkheim and Robert Merton.
10. How Culture Impacts Mental & Physical Health
Understanding the impact of culture on mental and physical health can be really important if you are interested in supporting psychological well being. This lesson discusses positive and negative impacts culture can have.
11. How Culture Identity Impacts Early Childhood Development
In this lesson, we explain the ways in which cultural identity impacts cognitive, emotional, social, physical, and language development in children ages 2-5 and provide examples for each developmental domain.
12. The Self: Executive and Organizational Functions & Gender and Cultural Differences
How people view themselves has a lot to do with how they view the world around them. This lesson looks at the self, including its executive and organizational functions and gender and cultural differences in constructing a self-image.
13. Impact of Culture, Religion & Ethnicity on Personality
This lesson is going to go over the many ways that culture, religion, and ethnicity interplay with someone's personality. Among other things, you'll learn which cultural groups may have more sociable individuals than others.
14. How Culture Impacts Cognition Across the Lifespan
If you are someone who is interested in the psychology of diversity, you will probably be curious about cognitive development. This lesson discusses some of the ways culture can influence cognition across the life span.
15. How Culture Impacts Diversity in Society
Diversity in society exists on many different levels and can have a profound effect on human psychology. This lesson discusses the impact of culture, on diversity in society in a variety of ways.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 303: Psychology of Diversity course
- Social Identity & Categorization Theories
- Understanding Diversity in Psychology
- The Psychological Study of Diversity
- Psychology of Diversity Theories & Research
- Psychological Perspectives of Human Behavior
- Understanding Racism & Discrimination
- Understanding of Stereotypes & Biases
- Multiculturalism & Cultural Relativism
- Bias, Cultural Competence & Awareness
- Psychology Research Methods & Tools
- Required Assignments for Psychology 303