About This Chapter
Fundamentals of Earth & Space Science - Chapter Summary
This convenient study guide chapter covers the foundations of earth and space science through a series of bite-sized and engaging lessons. As you work through the chapter, you'll study the basics of plate tectonics, erosion, the water cycle, weather and the solar system. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify and talk about the earth's internal layers
- Summarize the theory of plate tectonics
- Recognize forces that affect and shape the surface of the earth
- Discuss the causes and effects of erosion
- Evaluate precipitation, condensation and evaporation in the water cycle
- Compare types of weather
- Explain basic solar system concepts
- Understand how tides are influenced by gravity, the moon and the sun
Our video lessons come with short quizzes that go over important earth/space science terms and concepts. Be sure to submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help with the material. The chapter is accessible any time of day or night, and you can use any computer or mobile device to study.
1. Earth's Internal Layers: Crust, Mantle & Core
Earth is made up of several different layers, each with unique properties. In this video lesson, you will identify each layer of Earth and how it relates to Earth as a whole.
2. What is Plate Tectonics? - Definition, Theory & Components
Imagine ice floating in a glass. Would you believe that we are all living on giant pieces of floating rock, just like the ice in that glass? This lesson explains that theory, an idea known as plate tectonics.
3. The Dynamic Earth: Internal & External Forces that Shape Earth's Surface
There are many geologic processes that shape the surface of the Earth. Not only do they build and destroy a variety of landscapes, but they also give us clues to the interior of the Earth and the forces that exist there.
4. Erosion: Definition, Causes & Effects
In this lesson, we'll define erosion and discuss the causes of erosion such as wind, water, glaciers, and people. Furthermore, we'll discuss how these factors effect landforms on the earth's surface.
5. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
6. Weather: Definition & Types
Talk about weather is everywhere: on the news, in the papers, and in almost every conversation. What causes it all, though? In this lesson, we will define weather, take a look at the different types, and learn what causes weather changes to take place.
7. Solar System Overview
This lesson will go over the major aspects of our solar system, including the sun, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, meteors, meteorites, and meteoroids.
8. How Gravity, the Moon & the Sun Influence Tides
This lesson will define tides, the tidal force, neap tide, and spring tide. It will also talk about how the sun, moon, and Earth interact to produce tidal bulges.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Elementary/Middle Grades (110): Practice & Study Guide course
- Teaching Strategies for Word Analysis & Vocabulary Development
- Developing Skills for Reading Comprehension
- Reading Comprehension Overview & Instruction
- Overview of Literary Types & Characteristics
- Selecting Reading Materials for the Classroom
- Writing Development & Instructional Strategies
- Overview of the Writing Process
- Listening & Speaking Skills for the Classroom
- Assessing & Promoting Literacy Development in the Classroom
- Mathematical Problem-Solving Strategies
- Instructional Strategies for Numeracy & Basic Math Skills
- Algebra & Geometry Concepts for Teachers
- Teaching Measurement, Statistics & Probability
- Fundamentals of Life Science
- Fundamentals of Physical Science
- Fundamentals of Scientific Investigation in the Classroom
- Government & Citizenship Overview for Educators in Illinois
- Overview of Economics & Political Principles for Illinois Educators
- Overview of History & Cultural Development for Illinois Educators
- Fundamentals of Human Geography for Illinois Educators
- Social Science Concepts for Educators
- Overview of the Arts for Educators
- Overview of Physical Education
- Personal, Family & Community Health Overview for Educators
- ILTS Elementary/Middle Grades Flashcards