About This Chapter
Fundamentals of Geography - Chapter Summary
Explore the basics of geography by watching the lessons presented in the chapter. Explore geographical similarities in scale and space and get an introduction to GPS, GIS and other tools used in the field. These videos are led by professional instructors who introduce you to different types of geographical regions, area and spatial analysis and human geography. The topics you'll see in this chapter include:
- Human impacts on the environment
- Geography tools
- Space, scale and place
- Cultural geography characteristics
- Functional, formal and vernacular regions
- Contemporary approaches in geography
These video lessons are brief, each video can be watched in about 5-10 minutes. They're also flexible, so you can watch them from any location with an Internet connection or on the go with your mobile device. The short practice quizzes allow you to test your comprehension as you move through the lessons. You'll find transcripts linked to each video that highlight key terms and definitions and a chapter exam that closes out your study of this topic.
1. Contemporary Approaches in Geography: Area, Spatial, Locational & Geographic Systems Analysis
If geographers study people and places, exactly how do they look at the information they find? In this lesson, we'll examine contemporary approaches to studying geography, including spatial, area, locational, and systems analysis.
2. Geographical Similarities: Scale, Space & Place
You've probably heard, and even used, the words 'space' and 'place.' But do you know what they mean in the field of cultural geography? In this lesson, we'll look at how geographers define areas, including space, place, and scale.
3. Geography Tools: Maps, GPS & GIS
How can we study the earth and the features in it? Watch this lesson to find out more about common tools used in geography, including maps, global positioning systems, and geographic information systems, and their differences.
4. Human & Cultural Geography: Definition, Characteristics & Studies
Humans don't exist in a vacuum. We live with other humans, and we live in a specific environment. In this lesson, we'll examine human & cultural geography, including what it is, and what types of topics are studied in the field.
5. Types of Regions: Formal, Functional & Vernacular
There are many different ways to divide land up into regions. In this lesson, we'll look at the common types of regions in geography, including formal regions, functional regions, and vernacular regions.
6. Human Impacts on the Environment
The human population continues to grow, but the size of Earth and the resources available for our use are limited. Humans greatly impact the world around them, and our actions can and often do have dramatic and long-lasting consequences.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the US History 2 Study Guide course
- Industrialization & Urbanization in America
- The Progressive Era
- American Imperialism
- The Roaring 20s
- The Great Depression
- America & World War II
- America in the Cold War
- US Protests, Activism & Civil Rights
- 1970s America
- The Presidents of Contemporary America
- Explaining American Traditions
- 21st Century America (1992-2013)
- Elements of American Government
- U.S. Public Policy & Social Programs
- The Economics of Public Policies
- Fiscal & Economic Policy of American Government
- Employment and Unemployment Issues
- Modern Economic Systems Overview
- Types and Effects of Inflation
- Global Trade, Global Markets & Macroeconomics
- Principles and Basis of Business Decisions
- International Trade Treaties & Regulations
- Geography and Farming
- Geography & the Global Economy
- Political Geography Overview
- Settlement Patterns Overview
- World Population
- Human and Cultural Migration