About This Chapter
Fundamentals of Math in Early Education - Chapter Summary
In these informative lessons, you'll review the fundamentals of math in early education. Topics covered in this chapter include mathematical development in children and the different types of numbers. This chapter is designed to help you:
- Assess and teach number recognition
- Recognize and generalize patterns in math
- Teach students to use strategies for number sequences and systems
- Understand the basic shapes in geometry
- Use experiential teaching strategies for math concepts
- Define manipulatives as they're used in education
- Successfully teach math facts to kids
- Differentiate math instruction to meet the needs of students
Our professionally designed learning materials are available to you 24 hours a day, so you can study any time it works well for you. To ensure you're on track with what you're learning, utilize the short quizzes after each lesson to check your work. If you have any questions as you move along in the chapter, please reach out to an instructor for help.
1. Mathematical Development in Children
Read this lesson, and you'll be surprised at how quickly little children learn about math and how it applies to their little world. You'll learn what to look for at each age.
2. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
3. Teaching & Assessing Number Recognition
Children need visual and tactile experiences with numbers in order to recognize them. Recognizing numbers in the environment, visual discrimination, developing one to one correspondence, and subitizing will be addressed in this lesson.
4. Recognizing & Generalizing Patterns in Math
Being able to recognize patterns is one of the most important aspects of studying math, and one that has definite advantages in other fields of study. In this lesson, we'll look at how to recognize the most common patterns in math: sequences.
5. Teaching Strategies for Number Systems & Sequences
In this lesson, you'll explore several different teaching strategies related to number sense and patterns within our number system to support the development of numeracy skills.
6. Overview of the Basic Shapes in Geometry
Watch this video lesson to learn about some basic shapes in geometry. These are the shapes that you will come across most often in math. Watch as triangles, rectangles, pentagons, and circles come by.
7. Experiential Teaching Strategies for Math Concepts
Learning while doing helps students internalize what they are learning. Experiential methods for math instruction are methods that allow students to experience, or do, while they learn. This lesson covers ideas for how to incorporate experiential learning in your classroom.
8. Manipulatives in Education: Definition, Examples & Classroom Applications
Find out what manipulatives are and how they're used in an educational setting. Learn how to apply manipulatives to lessons in your classroom. Read the lesson, then take a quiz to test your new knowledge.
9. How to Teach Math Facts to Kids
Teaching math facts can be a daunting task. Using a variety of instructional strategies, such as music, movement, games, flashcards, foldables, and T-charts, keeps math practice exciting, thus increasing student motivation and memorization.
10. How to Differentiate Math Instruction
In today's diverse classrooms, teachers must differentiate their math instruction in order to meet the needs of a variety of learners. This lesson will explain the main principles of and strategies that support the differentiated math classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education (5531): Practice & Study Guide course
- Development of Young Children
- Basics of Early Childhood Education
- Influences on Early Childhood Development
- Language Development in Children
- Atypical Development & Delays
- Federal Legislation Related to Children With Exceptionalities
- Accommodating Children With Diverse Needs
- Adaptive & Assistive Equipment for Learning
- Multicultural & Antibias Curriculum
- Early Childhood Classroom Safety
- Learning Environments in Early Education
- Managing the Learning Environment
- Instructional Planning for Early Education
- Instructional Processes for Early Education
- Grouping Techniques for Classrooms
- Integrated Curriculum & Interdisciplinary Connections for ECE
- Art Education for Early Childhood
- Physical Health & Wellness Education
- Fundamentals of Literacy in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Social Studies in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Science in Early Education
- Assessment Data in Early Education
- Early Childhood Educational Technology
- Assessments in Early Childhood Education
- Professional Development for Early Childhood Teachers
- Ethics & Professionalism in Early Education
- Family Collaboration & Advocacy in Early Childhood Education
- Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education Flashcards