About This Chapter
1. What is a Compound Machine? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn how to identify simple machines. In addition, you will learn what differentiates a simple machine from a compound machine. Several examples of compound machines will also be discussed.
2. Acceleration: Definition & Concept
In this lesson, you will learn about the concept of acceleration, which is a measure of how fast your velocity or speed is changing. You will also see examples and graphs that will help you understand the concept of acceleration.
3. Angular Momentum Quantum Number: Definition & Example
Electrons in an atom occupy regions known as orbitals, and these orbitals have shapes. In this lesson, we will discuss the secondary quantum number: the angular momentum quantum number, which determines the shape of an orbital.
4. Archimedes' Principle: Definition, Formula & Examples
Archimedes' principle deals with the forces applied to objects by the fluids around that object. This applied force reduces the net weight of any object in a fluid, whether it be a liquid or a gas.
5. Calculating Acceleration Due to Gravity: Formula & Concept
You have no doubt seen gravity work in your life. After all, it is the force that keeps your feet on the ground! This lesson explores the acceleration a body experiences due to gravity and provides details of the mechanics behind it.
6. Centripetal Acceleration: Definition, Formula & Example
In this lesson, you will learn the meaning of the term centripetal acceleration, an equation to calculate it, and an example of how to use the equation. A short quiz will follow.
7. Introduction to Constant Acceleration
The most useful type of motion in physics is that of constant acceleration. In this lesson you will learn about constant acceleration, why it is important, and an example of motion that undergoes constant acceleration.
8. Constant Velocity: Definition, Equation & Examples
In this lesson you will learn the definition of constant velocity, its important properties, and the equation that represents it. You will also see examples or applications of constant velocity.
9. Impulse: Definition, Equation, Calculation & Examples
In this lesson you will learn about the concept of impulse and how you can apply it to a variety of interesting situations. You will learn about the relationship between impulse and momentum and how to calculate impulse through a variety of examples.
10. What Is Gravity? - Definition & Equation
In this video, you'll learn about the force of gravity and why what goes up must also come down. You'll also learn about the equation for determining the gravitational force between two objects and the rate at which objects accelerate toward Earth.
11. What is Momentum? - Definition, Equation, Units & Principle
People talk about momentum all the time; now you can discover what that word really means. Then learn about the principle of conservation of momentum and what it has to do with objects colliding.
12. What is Motion? - Definition & Laws
Motion is the act of moving and plays a huge role in the study of physics. This lesson walks through important terms and the laws of motion that guide the study of motion.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the General Studies Science: Help & Review course
- Chemical Compounds & Bonds Overview
- Drawing Conclusions from a Scientific Investigation
- Electricity Fundamentals & Overview
- Energy & Heat Overview
- Essential Biology Concepts
- Essential Chemistry Concepts
- Essential Concepts in Physics
- Evolutionary Principles
- Genetics & Evolution Overview
- Food Webs Overview
- Components of Living Things
- Intro to Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Human Body Systems: Functions & Processes
- Foundations of Chemical Compounds & Bonds
- Foundations of Chemical Reactions, Acids, and Bases
- Foundations of Energy & Heat
- Foundations of Magnetism
- Lab Equipment for Scientific Study
- Measurement & the Metric System Fundamentals
- Nuclear Energy Fundamentals
- Planning a Scientific Investigation Or Experiment
- Plant & Soil Ecology
- Populations & Relationships in Ecology
- Sound & Light Waves
- Studying Biological Communities
- The Periodic Table, Atoms & Elements
- Using Data for Investigation & Experimentation
- Scientific Data: Organization, Analysis & Drawing Conclusions
- Types of Living Things
- Plant Structure & Processes
- Fundamentals of Matter
- Mechanics of Physics
- Introduction to Relativity
- Fundamentals of Electricity
- Introduction to Magnetism
- Fundamentals of Waves, Sound and Light
- Space, The Solar System and the Universe
- Introduction to Atmospheric Science
- Geology Basics
- Fundamentals of Genetics
- Foundations of Science
- Scientific Research & Experiments