About This Chapter
Fundamentals of Medical Terminology - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Medical terminology appears everywhere. Now that it is possible to easily locate information about every medical condition and disease from the Internet, understanding the particular language of medicine and medical conditions is a must. And if you are planning a career in any area of the medical field, comprehension of medical terminology becomes even more critical. In this chapter, we will take a look at medical terminology: how it is formed, and how it is used. You will learn how to take a word apart to understand the meaning of its components and, through that process, the meaning of the term itself. In these lessons, you'll learn things like:
- The two basic types of medical terms: eponyms vs. descriptive terms
- The basics of a word root
- How to convert a word from the singular to the plural
- The common errors people make when two word parts look very similar
- Common abbreviations of medical terms
- Medical language used to describe disease conditions
|Types of Medical Terms: Eponyms vs. Descriptive Terms||Distinguish between these two major categories of medical terms.|
|How Medical Terms are Formed||Learn about the fundamental components of a word root when it comes to medical terminology.|
|Determining a Medical Word's Meaning Based on Its Parts||Analyze words into their parts so you can decipher their meaning.|
|How Basic Medical Terms Describe Disease Conditions||Distinguish 'symptom' vs. 'syndrome,' 'acute' vs. 'chronic' and other frequently used medical terms.|
|Basic Medical Terms of Diagnosis for Acute & Chronic Diseases||Discover what terms are used to describe different aspects of diagnosis for various specific diseases.|
|Accuracy & Abbreviations in Medical Terminology||Discuss how medical abbreviations are used, some important abbreviations, and why it is so important to get an abbreviation correct.|
|Common Medical Abbreviations A-C||Look over some standard abbreviations between A-C.|
|Common Medical Abbreviations D-J||Learn about medical abbreviations starting with the letters D-J.|
|Common Medical Abbreviations K-O||Review abbreviations K-O commonly used relating to medicine.|
|Common Medical Abbreviations P-R||Study medical abbreviations between P-R.|
|Common Medical Abbreviations S-Y||Enumerate standard abbreviations that start with letters S-Y.|
1. Types of Medical Terms: Eponyms vs. Descriptive Terms
We will explore the two main ways in which medical terms are designed in this lesson. Learning how medical terms got their names will help with understanding terms as you are learning medical terminology. We will look at some examples of both eponyms and descriptive terms.
2. How Medical Terms are Formed
In this lesson, we'll focus on how medical terms are formed and practice forming them. You will become familiar with how to build medical terms to describe parts of the body, procedures, and bodily processes.
3. Singular & Plural Word Endings in Medical Terminology
We are going to look at how medical terms are converted from their singular forms to their plural forms. This lesson will look at the various rules for conversion and give examples.
4. Determining a Medical Word's Meaning Based on Its Parts
This lesson will help you to understand how to take an unfamiliar medical term apart and then define it. We will look at several examples and discuss how the term is read.
5. How Basic Medical Terms Describe Disease Signs, Symptoms & Syndromes
We will look at how we define signs, symptoms, and syndromes and how they are different from one another. There are some examples of each that will be covered in this lesson.
6. Basic Medical Terms of Diagnosis for Acute & Chronic Diseases
This lesson will focus on the differences between a diagnosis and a differential diagnosis. We will also get an understanding of what is meant by acute and chronic diseases.
7. Accuracy & Abbreviations in Medical Terminology
We are going to focus on why it is of the utmost importance to be accurate when using medical terminology. We will then look at the role of abbreviations in medical terminology and gain an understanding of why they are so useful.
8. Common Medical Abbreviations A - C
We will define the most commonly used abbreviations in medical terminology that begin with the letters A-C. We will also discuss how the abbreviations are used.
9. Common Medical Abbreviations D - J
This lesson covers the most used medical abbreviations that begin with the letters D - J. We will look at the common ways in which the abbreviations are used.
10. Common Medical Abbreviations K - O
This lesson will cover some of the most commonly used medical abbreviations that begin with the letters K-O. We will look at some explanations for how the abbreviations are used as well.
11. Common Medical Abbreviations P - R
This lesson will cover medical abbreviations that begin with the letters P - R. We will look at how they are used and discuss ways to distinguish similar abbreviations.
12. Common Medical Abbreviations S - Y
We will be going over common medical abbreviations that begin with the letters 'S' through 'Y'. How they are used and where they may appear are also going to be covered in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Medical Terminology: Help & Review course
- Basic Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terminology for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Basics & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Basics for Genetics, Cells & Structures
- Medical Terms for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Oncology Basics & Terms
- Medical Terminology for the Skeletal System
- Vocabulary for the Muscular System & Its Functions
- Vocabulary for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Diseases
- Medical Vocabulary for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathologies
- GI Tract Diagnosis & Treatment Terminology
- Medical Terms for the Urinary System
- Terminology of the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions
- Terminology for Diagnostics & Treatments of the Nervous System
- Medical Terms Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terminology Related to the Ears
- Terminology for the Integumentary System
- Terminology for The Endocrine System & Hormones
- Endocrine Gland Disorder Vocabulary
- Pancreatic Disorder Vocabulary
- Adrenal Gland Disorder Terminology
- Male Reproductive System & STDs: Medical Terminology
- Female Reproductive System: Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology for Major Pathogens
- Medical Terminology Used for Diagnosis & Pharmacology