About This Chapter
Fundamentals of Waves, Sound and Light - Chapter Summary
You've probably heard the old joke that asks whether or not a tree falling in a forest makes a sound if there's no one there to hear it. These lessons will take you through the nature and composition of sound and light, so perhaps you can decide for yourself. You will examine how sound travels, how light reflects off of various surfaces, and other related information.
After each lesson, you can take a short quiz to check your retention of the material, and a chapter test will help you chart your mastery overall. The easy-to-access online format allows you to study whenever and wherever you like. All you need is a device that offers internet access, whether it's a laptop, desktop, notebook or tablet computer. You can even study from your smartphone, so you can schedule your study sessions at your own convenience. The lessons in this chapter will teach you about the topics shown below:
- Explanation of waves and vibrations
- Definition and explanation of sound
- Regions of the electromagnetic spectrum
- Color frequency, spectrum and nature of light
- Reflection and diffuse reflection, surfaces and angle of incidence
1. Vibrations and Waves: Energy and Motion
What is a wave? What causes waves, and how do they travel from one place to another? This lesson will guide you through the basics of waves. We'll discuss their origins from vibrations and investigate how they carry energy through a medium.
2. What is Sound? - Definition and Factors Affecting the Speed of Sound
Explore the minute workings of sound waves and how they travel. We'll discuss the main factors that affect the speed of sound waves, and we'll try some mathematical problems involving the wave equation.
3. The 7 Major Regions of the Electromagnetic Spectrum
This lesson will walk you through each of the major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. Explore the unique characteristics of X-rays, microwaves, radio waves, UV rays, infrared, gamma rays, and of course, visible light.
4. The Nature of Light: Origin, Spectrum & Color Frequency
This lesson introduces the basics of visible light and color. Learn how the visible light spectrum is divided into the six color ranges. We'll also discuss why different people name colors in different ways.
5. Reflection: Angle of Incidence and Curved Surfaces
How do waves reflect off of surfaces? How do we account for the images that we see reflected in various objects? Discover the answers to these questions as we investigate the rays and angles defining the law of reflection.
6. Diffuse Reflection: Definition, Examples & Surfaces
This lesson explores the law of reflection and how it applies to different surfaces and wave types. We'll learn the difference between specular and diffuse reflection and investigate how diffuse reflection affects our perception of sound and light.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the General Studies Science: Help & Review course
- Chemical Compounds & Bonds Overview
- Drawing Conclusions from a Scientific Investigation
- Electricity Fundamentals & Overview
- Energy & Heat Overview
- Essential Biology Concepts
- Essential Chemistry Concepts
- Essential Concepts in Physics
- Evolutionary Principles
- Genetics & Evolution Overview
- Food Webs Overview
- Components of Living Things
- Intro to Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Human Body Systems: Functions & Processes
- Foundations of Chemical Compounds & Bonds
- Foundations of Chemical Reactions, Acids, and Bases
- Foundations of Energy & Heat
- Foundations of Magnetism
- Fundamentals of Mechanics
- Lab Equipment for Scientific Study
- Measurement & the Metric System Fundamentals
- Nuclear Energy Fundamentals
- Planning a Scientific Investigation Or Experiment
- Plant & Soil Ecology
- Populations & Relationships in Ecology
- Sound & Light Waves
- Studying Biological Communities
- The Periodic Table, Atoms & Elements
- Using Data for Investigation & Experimentation
- Scientific Data: Organization, Analysis & Drawing Conclusions
- Types of Living Things
- Plant Structure & Processes
- Fundamentals of Matter
- Mechanics of Physics
- Introduction to Relativity
- Fundamentals of Electricity
- Introduction to Magnetism
- Space, The Solar System and the Universe
- Introduction to Atmospheric Science
- Geology Basics
- Fundamentals of Genetics