About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other microbiology work.
- Identify the fungal infections concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our college microbiology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about fungal infections and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the types, causes and symptoms of fungal infections or any other related topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their biology learning
- Prefer learning biology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their fungal infections unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in microbiology
- Don't have access to their biology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about fungal infections simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live microbiology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about fungal infections on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn the symptoms of Cryptococcus infections.
- Discuss the symptoms and causes of histoplasmosis infections.
- Describe the causes and symptoms of aspergillosis.
- Become familiar with the fungus that causes Pneumocystis pneumonia.
- Learn about the yeast that causes candidiasis.
- Name the fungi that cause ringworm infections.
1. Cryptococcus neoformans and gattii: Infections & Symptoms
A fungus that commonly grows on pigeon droppings can cause meningitis. In this lesson, we will look at the yeast Cryptococcus, and its ability to cause disease in humans unfortunate enough to breathe it in.
2. What is Histoplasmosis? - Infections Caused by Histoplasma capsulatum
Raising backyard chickens can be a fun and rewarding experience, but you might end up raising more than just chicks. In this lesson, we will explore the world of Histoplasma capsulatum, a pathogenic fungus that can grow on chicken feces.
3. What is Aspergillosis? - Fungal Infections & Symptoms
Human fungal diseases are rare and usually don't cause symptoms in healthy people. In this lesson, we'll discuss Aspergillus, a disease-causing mold, and the different infections and symptoms it can cause in susceptible hosts.
4. Pneumocystis Pneumonia: Infections Caused by Pneumocystis jiroveci
AIDS patients have a lot to worry about. In this lesson we examine Pneumocystis jiroveci, the fungal pathogen that can cause life-threatening pneumonia in AIDS patients due to their compromised immune function.
5. Candidiasis: Yeast Infections Caused by Candida albicans
Your body is teeming with microorganisms that normally live in perfect balance without you ever knowing they are there. Candida albicans is one fungal member of this group, but upset the balance and Candida can cause some very unpleasant diseases.
6. What is Ringworm? - Infections Caused by Trichophyton & Microsporum Fungi
Ringworm is a common pathogen that infects the skin, hair, and nails of people and animals. This disease is not caused by a worm, however. In this lesson we will examine the fungus that causes ringworm and its impact on human health.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Microbiology: Tutoring Solution course
- Biology Review for Microbiology: Tutoring Solution
- Microbiology Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Bacterial Biology: Tutoring Solution
- Microbiology Laboratory Techniques: Tutoring Solution
- Microorganisms and the Environment: Tutoring Solution
- The Disease Process: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Viruses in Microbiology: Tutoring Solution
- DNA Viruses: Tutoring Solution
- RNA Viruses: Tutoring Solution
- Protozoan Diseases: Tutoring Solution
- Foodborne Illnesses & Bacterial Infections: Tutoring Solution
- Sexually Transmitted Bacterial Diseases: Tutoring Solution
- Bloodborne Bacterial Diseases: Tutoring Solution
- Bacterial Diseases of the Respiratory Tract: Tutoring Solution
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections: Tutoring Solution
- Immunology And the Body's Defenses Against Pathogens: Tutoring Solution
- Antimicrobial Drugs: Tutoring Solution
- Food and Industrial Microbiology: Tutoring Solution
- Sterilization and Antiseptic Techniques: Tutoring Solution