About This Chapter
Futures & Options - Chapter Summary
For an overview of futures and options in finance, check out this comprehensive finance study guide chapter. Through a series of engaging lessons and quizzes, our expert instructors help you break down and remember several finance concepts, including options trading strategies, hedge fund structure and contract types. Our instructors are available to answer your questions if you need any extra help, and you can study on any Internet-connected device at any time that fits your schedule. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain several options trading strategies
- Outline the structure of a hedge fund
- Define and assess examples of futures and forward contracts
1. What is Options Trading? - Strategies & Examples
You'll learn about options trading in this lesson and how stock buyers can use this way of trading to their benefit. Learn how it can provide a safety net so stock buyers can prevent losing too much money.
2. What Is a Hedge Fund? - Definition, Structure & Examples
In this lesson, we will discuss the nature of hedge funds, illustrate investment strategies, and reveal their appeal and controversy. We'll also make comparisons between a hedge fund and a mutual fund and present the overall structure of a hedge fund.
3. What are Futures Contracts? - Definition & Examples
As turbulent as the financial and commodity markets can be, businesses can benefit by 'locking in prices' now. In this lesson, we'll learn about futures contracts and how they help businesses accurately forecast or offset their rising costs.
4. What is a Forward Contract? - Definition & Examples
A forward contract is a popular investment tool used by large corporations and small investors alike. This lesson defines the term forward contract and explains its use through various examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TECEP Financial Institutions & Markets: Practice & Test Prep course
- Financial Markets & Financial Instruments
- Interest Rates Overview
- Financial Market Analysis & Trading
- Banks & Other Financial Intermediaries
- The Flow of Funds in Financial Intermediaries
- Regulation of Financial Institutions
- Introduction to International Finance
- Introduction to the Mortgage Market
- Branch Banking & Deposit Insurance
- Money & Interest-Rate Relationships
- Inflation & Income Policies
- TECEP Financial Institutions & Markets Flashcards