About This Chapter
GACE Early Childhood Education: Measurement & Data - Chapter Summary
Brush up on your skills in probability, estimation, units of measurement and problem solving with the lessons in this chapter. After watching our videos, you should be ready to answer GACE Early Childhood Education exam questions on topics that include:
- Probability in math
- Case studies, surveys and interviews
- How to create graphs from data
- Mathematical principles for solving problems
- Problem solving strategies
- Nonstandard and standard units of measurement
- Formulas for perimeter, area, mass and volume
You can study at your own pace, using a computer or mobile device. Video tags make it simple to go back and find portions of the lesson that you want to re-watch. If you still have questions, you're welcome to contact the instructor.
1. Recognizing Patterns of Object & Sorting by Attributes
Recognizing patterns of objects and sorting by their attributes opens the door to real world problem solving and reasoning skills. Patterns are used in Math at all skill levels, from the very basic sorting of colors and shapes to higher level STEM related concepts.
2. What is Probability in Math? - Definition & Overview
Remember throwing a quarter and calling out heads or tails? Learn what this has to do with probability. Also learn how you can use your newly-learned skills from this lesson to help you decide whether you should play heads or tails at all!
3. Make Estimates and Predictions from Categorical Data
Categorical data can be estimated but not predicted. Learn why in this video lesson along with how to read and gather information from a bar graph of categorical data.
4. Solving Mathematical Problems Using Estimation
Estimating is a method of calculating a result that is close to, but not exactly, the correct answer to a math problem. Why would you ever need to do this? This lesson reviews estimating and answers the question as to why you would do it.
5. Mathematical Principles for Problem Solving
Solving problems is not just a simple, straightforward process. There are a few principles that can help you as you approach any problem solving scenarios. This lesson covers those principles with examples.
6. Types of Problems & Problem Solving Strategies
We solve hundreds of small problems everyday. This lesson covers different types of problems, such as routine vs. non-routine, and many of the different problem-solving strategies we use, including algorithms, heuristics, graphic representations and the IDEAL Strategy.
7. Using Mathematical Models to Solve Problems
Mathematical modeling simply refers to the creation of mathematical formulas to represent a real world problem in mathematical terms. This lesson reviews the creation and pitfalls of mathematical models.
8. Standard & Nonstandard Units of Measurement: Concepts & Instruments
In this lesson, we'll define both standard and nonstandard units of measurement. We'll discuss each of these types of units and the measuring instruments we use for both through definition, explanation, and example.
9. How to Perform Basic Operations with Measurements
In this video lesson, you will learn how measurements are very much like variables when it comes to adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing them. You will also see examples of how they are done.
10. What is Perimeter? - Definition & Formula
In mathematics, the perimeter is the distance around a two-dimensional shape. The formula for finding the perimeter of certain shapes will be discussed in this lesson, and there will be some examples to help you understand how to calculate the perimeter.
11. What is Area in Math? - Definition & Formula
Area is the size of a two-dimensional surface. This lesson will define area, give some of the most common formulas, and give examples of those formulas. A quiz at the end of the lesson will allow you to work out some area problems on your own.
12. Mass and Volume: Formulas, Unit Conversion & Practice Problems
Learn about how mass and volume are connected by a special formula, how to calculate volumes of common 3D shapes, and how to convert between different units of mass and volume. Complete some practice problems and perfect your skills.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Early Childhood Education (501): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Reading Instruction
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Teaching Language & Literacy Skills
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Teaching Writing Skills
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Speaking & Listening
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Instructional Pedagogy
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Resources & Technology
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Assessment Strategies & Types
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Basic Social Studies
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Native Americans & the Colonies
- GACE Early Childhood Education: The American Revolution
- GACE Early Childhood Education: American Expansionism
- GACE Early Childhood Education: The American Civil War
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Industrialization, Imperialism & Immigration
- GACE Early Childhood Education: World War I
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Roaring 20s & The Great Depression
- GACE Early Childhood Education: World War II
- GACE Early Childhood Education: The Cold War
- GACE Early Childhood Education: The US in the 1960s to Today
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Geography
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Government, Civics & Economics
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Numbers & Number Sense
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Decimals & Fractions
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Geometry
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Teaching Science
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Earth Science
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Physical Science
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Life Science
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Health & Physical Education
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Social Influences on Health
- GACE Early Childhood Education: Arts Education
- GACE Early Childhood Education Flashcards