About This Chapter
GACE Health Education: Contraception & Family Planning - Chapter Summary
Family planning and contraception decisions are among the most important life choices individuals will make in their lifetimes. To help you prepare for these questions on the GACE Health Education assessment, this chapter's video lessons focus on pregnancy planning and forms of contraception. Once you finish the videos, you should be able to respond confidently to the following:
- Pros and cons of barrier methods of contraception
- Types of hormonal contraception
- Female sterilization procedures
- Roe. v. Wade Supreme Court case
- Abortion methods and miscarriage causes
- Benefits and drawbacks of vasectomies
- Pregnancy planning issues
- Deciding to have children
In roughly 10 minutes or less, our professional instructors discuss these health issues in entertaining videos full of animated graphics and simplified explanations. In addition to the videos, our lessons include transcripts and self-assessment quizzes. All of these tools are available on your computer or mobile device whenever you're able to devote time to preparing for the GACE examination.
Objectives of the GACE Health Education: Contraception & Family Planning Chapter
If you plan to work in Georgia's public school system as a health teacher, you'll have to pass the GACE Health Education assessment as part of the state's certification requirements. This exam has a total of 200 questions spread equally among two tests. Both Test I and Test II each contain questions in two health education subareas.
The family planning topics covered in this chapter appear on Test I's mental and sexual health subarea, which accounts for around 70% of the questions. Along with studying our videos, you can use the lesson quizzes to get accustomed to the kinds of questions you'll have to answer on the exam. Like the GACE tests, our quizzes are in multiple-choice or selected-response format.
1. Barrier Methods of Contraceptives: Types, Advantages & Disadvantages
While you are probably all familiar with what a condom is, did you know there are a lot of other options out there for preventing pregnancy? Learn about some of the barrier methods of contraception in this lesson.
2. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Introduction and Birth Control Pills
We have all heard of the birth control pill, right? And many of you women out there probably take some form of birth control. But do you really understand how it works or what the different options are? Learn about the basics of hormonal contraceptives in this lesson.
3. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Contraceptive Patch, Ring, and Implants
Did you know there are many forms of contraception out there, and not just condoms and birth control pills? Learn about some of the other options in this lesson on hormone-based contraceptives.
4. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Contraceptive Injections and IUDs
Did you know there are some methods of birth control that last up to five years! Or, if that is too long, some that last three months at a time? Learn about these two options in this lesson on contraceptive injections and IUDs.
5. Female Sterilization Procedures: Tubal Ligation and Tubal Occlusion
So, you and your spouse have reached that point in life where you are done having kids. What now? In this lesson, you will learn about some of the methods of permanent female sterilization available to women who have decided not to have any more children.
6. Supreme Court Case Roe v. Wade: Summary, Decision & Impact on Abortion
''Roe v. Wade, 1973'' was the landmark Supreme Court decision in regard to legalized abortion. Learn about the case, the decision and its impact on the United States.
7. Abortion and Miscarriage: Methods and Causes
This lesson will teach you whether exercise can cause a miscarriage, what the major cause of miscarriage is, and what the two major classes of abortion are.
8. Vasectomy: Purpose, Advantages & Disadvantages
You may have heard of a guy 'getting snipped,' a procedure otherwise known as a vasectomy. What this entails may be simpler than you think. Learn about the procedure, effects and reversal options in this lesson on the vasectomy.
9. Key Issues When Planning A Pregnancy
When planning a pregnancy, important things must be considered to ensure maximum safety of both mother and child. This includes taking an assessment of your medications, supplements, medical conditions, and habits.
10. Making the Decision to Have Children
In this lesson, I face one of my greatest fears: talking about having kids. We'll look at some points to consider, such as the costs and the way it changes a person's life. In addition, the idea of baby fever is also looked at.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health Education (613): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Health Education: Psychosocial Health & Well-Being
- GACE Health Education: Emotional Health & Development
- GACE Health Education: Mental Health & Stress
- GACE Health Education: Social Development & Sense of Self
- GACE Health Education: Types of Relationships
- GACE Health Education: Family Structure & Behaviors
- GACE Health Education: Human Development
- GACE Health Education: Human Anatomy & Physiology
- GACE Health Education: Human Reproductive Systems
- GACE Health Education: Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- GACE Health Education: Human Sexuality & STDs
- GACE Health Education: Diseases & Immunity
- GACE Health Education: Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- GACE Health Education: Sources & Functions of Nutrients
- GACE Health Education: Diet & Nutrition
- GACE Health Education: Drug & Substance Abuse
- GACE Health Education: Health Education Teachers
- GACE Health Education Flashcards