About This Chapter
GACE Health Education: Diseases & Immunity - Chapter Summary
In preparation for the GACE Health Education assessment, view this chapter's video lessons to strengthen your knowledge of disease and how it can be prevented or controlled. Once you finish studying the videos, you should have no trouble with the following:
- Types of diseases
- Disease versus infection
- Importance of good hygiene
- Communicable versus non-communicable diseases
- Endemic, epidemic and pandemic
- controlling and preventing disease
- Health promotion
- Impact of laws and policies on health
- The immune system and types of immunity
Our video lessons are brief and entertaining to make preparing for the GACE exam a simplified, convenient process. Our instructors use several realistic examples and graphics to guide you through the disease and immunity concepts discussed in the chapter.
Objectives of the GACE Health Education: Diseases & Immunity Chapter
Designed to evaluate the knowledge of potential health and physical education teachers in Georgia, the GACE Health Education assessment contains two tests that each cover two subareas within the field. You'll be asked questions about mental health, sexual health, safety, drugs, wellness and more.
The topics on diseases and immunity discussed in this chapter's video lessons are covered within Test II's personal health, wellness and nutrition content area, which comprises about 40% of the test's questions. Use our multiple-choice lesson quizzes to get prepared for the selected-response questions found on the GACE examination.
1. The Spread of Disease: Endemic, Epidemic & Pandemic
This lesson will talk about what an endemic disease is and how it is different from an epidemic. We'll also discuss how an epidemic differs from something known as a pandemic. Finally, we'll look at some examples of each to help solidify these points.
2. Pathogens and Disease: Definitions, Types & Causes
There are many different types of pathogens and many problems they cause. This lesson will teach you about four main types of pathogens, examples of each, and what problems they cause.
3. Disease Control & Prevention
This lesson will discuss the many different ways by which people can control disease. Everything from vaccination to sterilization and beyond will be mentioned so that you can better appreciate the large arsenal of tools at our disposal.
4. Health Behaviors and Promotion: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will discuss health promotion, health behavior, and the three different kinds of disease prevention strategies you can employ to stay healthy for as long as possible.
5. What Is the Immune System? - Our Body's Defense Against Pathogens
In this lesson, you will be introduced to the immune system. You'll learn about the innate and adaptive immune system, Edward Jenner, haptens and immune tolerance.
6. What Is Adaptive Immunity? - Definition and Types
This lesson will help you distinguish between several different types of immunity. This includes passive immunity, active immunity, naturally acquired immunity and artificially acquired immunity.
7. Antibiotics and Vaccines
Do you know why children must get regularly vaccinated? Have you ever wondered how an antibiotic works and why they are so widely prescribed? If so, this lesson will help you to understand how changes in medicine have almost eliminated several deadly diseases and added decades to the average person's lifespan.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health Education (613): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Health Education: Psychosocial Health & Well-Being
- GACE Health Education: Emotional Health & Development
- GACE Health Education: Mental Health & Stress
- GACE Health Education: Social Development & Sense of Self
- GACE Health Education: Types of Relationships
- GACE Health Education: Family Structure & Behaviors
- GACE Health Education: Human Development
- GACE Health Education: Human Anatomy & Physiology
- GACE Health Education: Human Reproductive Systems
- GACE Health Education: Contraception & Family Planning
- GACE Health Education: Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- GACE Health Education: Human Sexuality & STDs
- GACE Health Education: Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- GACE Health Education: Sources & Functions of Nutrients
- GACE Health Education: Diet & Nutrition
- GACE Health Education: Drug & Substance Abuse
- GACE Health Education: Health Education Teachers
- GACE Health Education Flashcards