About This Chapter
GACE Health Education: Drug & Substance Abuse - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter let you revisit the drug and substance abuse concepts you need to know about as you prepare for the GACE Health Education assessment. The videos cover the following issues:
- Definitions for substance abuse, use and dependency
- Addiction and addictive behaviors
- Physical consequences of drug abuse
- Effects of alcohol and alcoholism
- Tobacco use, addiction and consequences
- Treatment of substance-related disorders
Check out these engaging videos from a computer or a handheld device at your convenience. Self-assessment quizzes let you quickly verify your grasp of each lesson you review.
GACE Health Education: Drug & Substance Abuse Chapter Objectives
The GACE Health Education assessment consists of two multiple-choice tests that evaluate your readiness to be a health teacher in Georgia. The topics in the Drug & Substance Abuse chapter fall within the second subarea of Test II, which accounts for 60% of the 100 questions on that particular test. The quizzes across the chapter give you an idea of how some questions may look in the respective subarea.
1. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
2. Types of Drugs: Classifications & Effects
This lesson will describe the six major classes of psychoactive drugs, give examples of substances in each class, and explain what they cause a person to experience in the short-term and the long-term.
3. Addiction and Addictive Behaviors: Types & Warning Signs
This lesson will define addiction and addictive behavior in addition to taking a look at what addictive behaviors have in common and what things to look out for in a potential addict.
4. From Misuse to Abuse: Distinction & Effects
This lesson will differentiate drug misuse and abuse. You will also learn how the central nervous system is affected by drugs and what other effects drugs have upon the body.
5. Addiction: Not The Same As Habit, Impulse, or Obsession
This lesson will discuss the definitions of addiction, habit, obsession, compulsion, and impulse, giving several examples of each category and how they may overlap with one another.
6. How Drug Use Affects a Teen's Life
In this lesson, we'll look at some of the consequences of teen drug use. We'll look at how the use of drugs impacts teens' relationships, academic performance, and development.
7. Drug Abuse: Physical Consequences and Treatment
The kidneys, heart, lungs, and skin are all affected by drug use, sometimes severely so. You'll learn how and also the many different ways by which a person can be treated for substance abuse in this lesson.
8. The Effects of Alcohol: Physiological, Behavioral & Long-Term
If you've ever wondered why men seem to tolerate alcohol better than women or what alcohol does to the body and mind, then tune into this lesson for more information.
9. Alcoholism: Causes, Symptoms, Effects & Treatment
Alcohol can be a really terrible thing when it is abused. The problems it causes do not just damage the user but their friends, family, and society as a whole. You'll learn about why alcoholism occurs and how it can be addressed.
10. The Social and Political Issues of Tobacco Use
We often think about the fact that smoking is something we should worry about with respect to cancer, but political, social, and religious concerns are just as important when it comes to this deadly habit. Learn about how these concerns are related to smoking in this lesson.
11. Tobacco Use: Addiction and Short-Term Effects
In this lesson, you will learn about why it is that smoking is so addictive and what the short-term consequences of tobacco use will result in. You will also find out how nicotine plays an important role in all of this.
12. Smoking: Long-Term Consequences
In this lesson, we will look at why smoking is so harmful to your health from a chemical perspective. After that, we will discuss exactly what smoking causes in the long run. You'll be surprised to learn that lung cancer is the least of your concerns.
13. Analyzing Tobacco & Alcohol Advertisements
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the various ways advertisements are used by the tobacco, alcohol, and drug industry to target their current or future customer base.
14. Treating Substance-Related Disorders: Biological, Behavioral and Psychodynamic Approaches
Millions of people suffer from alcohol and drug addiction. How do people get over addiction? In this lesson, we'll look at four different approaches to substance use treatment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health Education (613): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Health Education: Psychosocial Health & Well-Being
- GACE Health Education: Emotional Health & Development
- GACE Health Education: Mental Health & Stress
- GACE Health Education: Social Development & Sense of Self
- GACE Health Education: Types of Relationships
- GACE Health Education: Family Structure & Behaviors
- GACE Health Education: Human Development
- GACE Health Education: Human Anatomy & Physiology
- GACE Health Education: Human Reproductive Systems
- GACE Health Education: Contraception & Family Planning
- GACE Health Education: Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- GACE Health Education: Human Sexuality & STDs
- GACE Health Education: Diseases & Immunity
- GACE Health Education: Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- GACE Health Education: Sources & Functions of Nutrients
- GACE Health Education: Diet & Nutrition
- GACE Health Education: Health Education Teachers
- GACE Health Education Flashcards