About This Chapter
GACE Health Education: Eating Disorders & Nutritional Problems - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to help you review for the GACE Health Education exam. The lessons begin by discussing important vocabulary regarding eating disorders and nutritional problems and the go on to discuss the causes, types, treatment and prevention of these problems. After completing this chapter you should be able to:
- Discuss the risk factors and cultural perspectives of eating disorders
- Define anorexia nervosa and list its symptoms, treatments and prognosis
- Summarize the differences between bulimia, binge eating disorder and obesity
- Explain body dysmorphic disorder
- Examine the causes and symptoms of night eating syndrome
- Understand the female athlete triad and treatment
- Explore warning signs and how to prevent eating disorders
These engaging video and text lessons allow you to work at your own pace and from any Internet-connected device as review in preparation of taking the GACE Health Education. The short lesson quizzes at the end of each chapter allow you to see how well you are retaining the material and help you know if you are ready for test day.
1. Vocabulary for Eating Disorders & Nutritional Problems
Lots of eating disorders and nutritional problems go hand-in-hand, but this lesson will define different kinds separately from one another. These include anorexia, cachexia, bulimia, obesity, and more.
2. What Causes Eating Disorders? - Risk Factors and Cultural Perspectives
This lesson takes a broad look at the causes of eating disorders. In addition, this lesson looks at what causes individuals to face higher or lower incidence rates of eating disorders.
3. What is Anorexia Nervosa? - Definition, Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis
This lesson explores what anorexia nervosa is and why it is so dangerous. It covers common symptoms seen in children who may develop anorexia as well as what anorexia will do to those who suffer from it.
4. What is Bulimia Nervosa? - Definition, Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis
This lesson explores bulimia as well as challenges many common misconceptions of bulimia. Specifically, this lesson describes the diagnostic requirements, the subtypes, and the treatments known to help with bulimia.
5. Binge Eating Disorder and Obesity: Definition, Discussion and Treatment
Binge-eating disorders are difficult to confront, but can be relatively easy to treat. This lesson explores some of the causes and issues related to binge-eating disorder, as well as to obesity in general.
6. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) & Eating Disorders: Definition & Types
Many of us have something about our appearance that we'd like to change, but for some people these desires can develop into actual disorders. How are body dysmorphic disorder and eating disorders related? This lesson gives you a closer look at these disorders and the impact they can have on people.
7. Night Eating Syndrome: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
We all enjoy an occasional midnight snack, but for someone suffering from night eating syndrome, late night eating happens on a regular basis and makes up 25% or more of their daily caloric intake. Learn about the causes, risks and treatments in this lesson.
8. Female Athlete Triad: Definition & Treatment
For some female athletes, working out and dieting too hard can lead to health problems. Learn about the female athlete triad, a condition associated with disordered eating, amenorrhea and osteoporosis in active girls and women, in this lesson.
9. Reducing Eating Disorder Development: Warning Signs & Prevention
Eating disorders are easier to prevent than to cure. Learn how to identify warning signs in the early stages to allow for early intervention and even the prevention of common eating disorders, like anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa, in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health Education Test II (114): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Health Education: Human Development
- GACE Health Education: Human Anatomy & Physiology
- GACE Health Education: Sources & Functions of Nutrients
- GACE Health Education: Diet & Nutrition
- GACE Health Education: Drug & Substance Abuse
- GACE Health Education: Basics of Disease & Immunity
- GACE Health Education: Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- GACE Health Education: Overview of Health Education Programs
- GACE Health Education Test II Flashcards