About This Chapter
GACE Health Education: Human Sexuality and STDs - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter can help you revisit all the important material on human sexuality and STDs in preparation for the GACE Health Education Exam. The videos review all the relevant content and make sure you are prepared to be able to:
- Contrast sexuality versus gender
- Identify the features and functions of human sexual anatomy and physiology
- Discuss sexual controversies in society
- List sexually transmitted infections
- Understand how to reduce the risk for sexually transmitted infections
- Explain the treatment methodologies for HIV
- Analyze the factors that influence sexual decisions
- Define HIV nd AIDs
- Describe the causes and transmission of HIV
Our knowledgeable instructors walk you through each topic, presenting them clearly and effectively. Watch the videos and read through the transcripts in preparation for the test. By learning through different modalities, the information is easier to learn, and more likely to be retained.
1. Sexuality & Gender: Difference & Definitions
This lesson defines many important concepts, including sexual identity, sexual orientation, sexual preference, gender identity, gender preference, gender adoption, and gender identification. We also go over the three forms of sexual orientation.
2. Human Sexual Anatomy & Physiology: Major Features & Functions
This lesson provides an important overview of the major male and female reproductive structures, functions, and hormones. We'll learn about everything from semen and testosterone to estrogen and the vulva.
3. Sexual Controversies in Society: Differing Viewpoints
Views of sexuality differ by person and by culture, which can cause difference in opinion on many sexual controversies. This lesson covers several of those debates, including teen pregnancy, birth control, pornography, and prostitution.
4. Factors That Influence Sexual Decisions
In this lesson, you will learn about four of the main factors that could influence an individual's sexual decisions. You will learn how alcohol and drugs, the media, peers, and parents all have a significant influence on sexual decision making.
5. Sexually Transmitted Infections: Types, Transmission, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will teach you about three major bacterial and three important viral sexually transmitted diseases, what problems they cause, and how they are treated.
6. Reducing Your Risk for Sexually Transmitted Infections
This lesson will describe for you the many ways by which you can help prevent a terrible STD from affecting your body, including abstinence, mutual monogamy, and more!
7. HIV and AIDs: Definition, Statistics & History
Explore the history and issues around one of the largest and longest pandemics of the world: Human Immunodeficiency Virus. This small retrovirus has created a great many issues in the world and continues to be one of the most difficult to eradicate.
8. Causes and Transmission of HIV
You have likely heard all kinds of information about HIV, but may still have questions about exactly how you get it. This lesson will describe how HIV is transmitted from person to person.
9. Treatment Methodologies for HIV
This lesson will delve into the basics of HIV therapy. You will learn about cocktails, protease inhibitors and reverse transcriptase inhibitors, as well as how they work and how they are used.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health Education (613): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Health Education: Psychosocial Health & Well-Being
- GACE Health Education: Emotional Health & Development
- GACE Health Education: Mental Health & Stress
- GACE Health Education: Social Development & Sense of Self
- GACE Health Education: Types of Relationships
- GACE Health Education: Family Structure & Behaviors
- GACE Health Education: Human Development
- GACE Health Education: Human Anatomy & Physiology
- GACE Health Education: Human Reproductive Systems
- GACE Health Education: Contraception & Family Planning
- GACE Health Education: Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- GACE Health Education: Diseases & Immunity
- GACE Health Education: Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- GACE Health Education: Sources & Functions of Nutrients
- GACE Health Education: Diet & Nutrition
- GACE Health Education: Drug & Substance Abuse
- GACE Health Education: Health Education Teachers
- GACE Health Education Flashcards