About This Chapter
GACE Health Education: Reproduction, Pregnancy and Birth - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons contained in this chapter to guide you as you revisit what you learned in college about reproduction, pregnancy and birth, in preparation for the GACE Health Education Exam. The videos go over all the important topics, including:
- HPG axis: Male and female reproduction
- Ovulation and implantation
- Fetal development
- Prenatal care
- Labor: three stages
- Complications before or during childbirth
- Types of labor complications
- Postnatal care
Our expert instructors present each topic clearly and succinctly. You can use many available technologies while studying for the exam, including a desktop computer, smartphone, laptop or tablet. The brief lessons include quizzes that you can take as often as necessary.
Objectives of the Health Education: Reproduction, Pregnancy and Birth Chapter
The GACE Health Education Exam is a structured test that evaluates the breadth and depth of your knowledge of health education. You must pass both tests of the exam to receive a teacher's license in the state of Georgia. The topics in this Reproduction, Pregnancy and Birth chapter fall under Test I, Subarea II: Personal Health and Wellness, Sexual Health, and Nutrition. Subarea II of Test I makes up 40% of the test questions. The self-assessment quizzes that come with each lesson not only check on your understanding of the content, but give you an opportunity to respond to questions like the ones you will see on the exam. The questions on both tests of the GACE Health Education Exam are selected-response questions.
1. The HPG Axis: Hormones of Male Reproduction
Do you know how your body communicates? How does the brain get in touch with other parts of the body? In this lesson, you will learn about how the male's brain uses hormones to communicate to the testes as a way of regulating reproduction.
2. HPG Axis: Hormonal Control of the Ovarian Cycle
Everything in the female reproductive system is connected. See how the brain interacts with the ovaries during the female's ovarian cycle in this lesson covering the female HPG axis.
3. Ovulation to Implantation: Oocyte's Path through Uterine Tubes
Follow the female's egg as it leaves the ovary and travels down the uterine tube on its way to the uterus - all with hopes of meeting up with a male's sperm along the way.
4. Fetal Development By Trimester: Timeline of Body Systems
This lesson will lay out for you when important body systems start to develop or begin to function as an unborn child develops trimester by trimester.
5. Prenatal Care: Nutrition
Does the saying 'You're now eating for two' mean that a pregnant women should double her caloric intake? What types of foods are needed during pregnancy? What about foods to avoid? Learn this and more in this lesson on prenatal nutrition.
6. Prenatal Care: Vitamins and Minerals
We all know that nutrition is important, and part of nutrition is getting enough vitamins and minerals. But how does that change when a woman gets pregnant? Learn about some of the vitamins and minerals that are essential during pregnancy.
7. Prenatal Care: Avoiding Drugs and Environmental Hazards
Illicit drugs and environmental hazards all pose risks to the health and safety of all people. But they also pose a danger to an unborn child. This lesson will go over some major contaminants and drugs and how they can impact a baby in a mother exposed to them.
8. Prenatal Care: Physical Activity and Mental/Emotional Health
In this lesson, you'll learn about the importance of physical, mental, and emotional health during pregnancy and how they can impact a pregnant woman and the unborn child.
9. The Three Stages of Labor: Dilation, Expulsion & Placental
You may think of the process of labor and childbirth as one long event, but it is actually divided into different stages. Learn about each of the three stages of labor in this lesson.
10. Complications that Can Arise Before or During Childbirth
This lesson discusses the different kinds of complications that might arise during pregnancy and during childbirth. Issues like placenta previa and breech will be covered.
11. Types of Labor Complication: Preterm, Miscarriages and Stillbirths
Along with the joys of finding out you or a loved one is pregnant also comes lots of new words and things to learn. This lesson will help introduce you to some of the terms concerning labor that you or your loved one might hear as you talk with your doctor or read all those baby pamphlets.
12. What is a C-Section? - Procedure, Types & Delivery
Do you know what happens when something goes wrong during the birthing process? You may have heard about C-sections, but do you know why they are performed - or how? Learn about this and more in this lesson on Cesarean sections.
13. Postnatal Care and SIDS
This lesson will address the often heard debate about breastfeeding vs. using baby formula in terms of which one is more beneficial. We'll also look into sudden infant death syndrome.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health Education (613): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Health Education: Psychosocial Health & Well-Being
- GACE Health Education: Emotional Health & Development
- GACE Health Education: Mental Health & Stress
- GACE Health Education: Social Development & Sense of Self
- GACE Health Education: Types of Relationships
- GACE Health Education: Family Structure & Behaviors
- GACE Health Education: Human Development
- GACE Health Education: Human Anatomy & Physiology
- GACE Health Education: Human Reproductive Systems
- GACE Health Education: Contraception & Family Planning
- GACE Health Education: Human Sexuality & STDs
- GACE Health Education: Diseases & Immunity
- GACE Health Education: Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- GACE Health Education: Sources & Functions of Nutrients
- GACE Health Education: Diet & Nutrition
- GACE Health Education: Drug & Substance Abuse
- GACE Health Education: Health Education Teachers
- GACE Health Education Flashcards