About This Chapter
GACE History: Ancient Africa and Americas - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter as part of your review of ancient Africa and the Americas, in preparation for the GACE History test. The videos go over all the information you need to know, including:
- Ancient West Africa
- The Kush civilization
- History of the Persian Empire
- Mesoamerican civilizations
- Ancient Andean peoples
Our experienced instructors show you everything you need to know about each topic, so you feel prepared for the test. You can determine how well you understand the information you've studied by taking the self-assessment that accompanies each lesson. Utilizing several approaches ensures that the material is presented thoroughly and clearly, and that you will retain the essential facts.
Objectives of the GACE History: Ancient Africa and Americas Chapter
The GACE History exam is a two-part test that evaluates your knowledge and comprehension of the full range of history subjects. Your score will be used to decide if you can be licensed as a teacher in the state of Georgia. The topics in this Ancient Africa and Americas chapter fall within the World History to 1450 CE subarea of Test I. This subarea includes 40% of the questions on Test I. By taking the self-assessment quizzes that accompany the videos, you can see how well you know the material and practice answering the kinds of questions that are on the exam.
All of the questions on both tests are selected-response items. Each one will present you with a question or passage followed by several possible responses. You must choose the single best answer.
1. Ancient West Africa: Bantu Migrations & the Stateless Society
In this lesson, we will discuss some of the characteristics of ancient West Africa. We will focus especially on the Bantu migrations, the stateless society, and the city of Jenne-jeno.
2. What Is the Kush Civilization?
While they may not get all the attention of other Egyptian neighbors, such as the Persians or Hittites, the Kush were a major factor in many of Egypt's decisions, both regarding trade and warfare. Learn about the Kush in this lesson.
3. The Kush Civilization & Ancient Egypt
While Egypt interacted with many different cultures, its relationship with the Kush was one of the most unique in history. Learn how this civilization not only conquered Egypt for a period of time, but even built their own pyramids.
4. History of the Persian Empire
The Persian Empire has all the great aspects of an amazing story - an unlikely rise to power against an evil king, a ruler who is beloved by his people, and a military that was centuries ahead of its time.
5. Mesoamerican Civilizations: The Olmecs to Cortes
This lesson focuses on the early cultures of Mesoamerica. The Olmec, Maya, and Aztecs developed great civilizations in Mesoamerica over millennia. Then, after all of this development and the building of a great empire, the Aztec were quickly defeated by Hernando Cortes.
6. Ancient Andean Peoples: Chavin & Inca
In this lesson, we will explore the Chavin and Inca civilizations of South America. We will study the rise and fall of these two cultures, as well as their major characteristics.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE History (534): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE History: Early Civilizations
- GACE History: Ancient Civilizations in the Near East
- GACE History: Bronze & Iron Ages in the Near East
- GACE History: Ancient China
- GACE History: Ancient India
- GACE History: Ancient Greece
- GACE History: Hellenism & the Athenian Achievement
- GACE History: The Rise of the Roman Republic
- GACE History: The Fall of the Roman Empire
- GACE History: The Rise of Christianity
- GACE History: The Byzantine Empire
- GACE History: The Rise of the Islamic Nation
- GACE History: Medieval Europe
- GACE History: Crusades & Church Reform in Medieval Europe
- GACE History: Hundred Years' War
- GACE History: Middle & Late Age Developments in Asia
- GACE History: Africa & the Americas in the Middle & Late Ages
- GACE History: The Renaissance
- GACE History: The Protestant Reformation
- GACE History: The Age of Exploration
- GACE History: The Elizabethan Era
- GACE History: Colonialism
- GACE History: The Scientific Revolution
- GACE History: The Enlightenment
- GACE History: 15th-18th Centuries in Asia & Africa
- GACE History: Revolutions Around the World From 1750-1914
- GACE History: Imperialism
- GACE History: World War I
- GACE History: World War II
- GACE History: The Cold War Era
- GACE History: Spreading Democracy Around the World
- GACE History: Europe & the United States After 1945
- GACE History: Africa & the Middle East After 1945
- GACE History: Asia & the Pacific After 1945
- GACE History: Contemporary Global Developments & Concerns
- GACE History: Colonizing the Americas
- GACE History: Settling North America
- GACE History: The Road to Revolution
- GACE History: The American Revolution
- GACE History: The Making of a New Nation
- GACE History: The Virginia Dynasty
- GACE History: Jacksonian Democracy
- GACE History: Life in Antebellum America
- GACE History: Manifest Destiny
- GACE History: Sectional Crisis
- GACE History: American Civil War
- GACE History: Reconstruction & the Gilded Age
- GACE History: Industrialization & Urbanization
- GACE History: The Progressive Era
- GACE History: American Imperialism
- GACE History: The Roaring 20s
- GACE History: The Great Depression
- GACE History: The US in World War ll
- GACE History: The Cold War
- GACE History: Post-War World
- GACE History: Protests, Activism & Civil Disobedience
- GACE History: The 1970s
- GACE History: The Rise of Political Conservatism
- GACE History: Contemporary America
- GACE History: The History of Georgia
- GACE History Flashcards