About This Chapter
GACE History: Ancient India - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to help you review what you studied in college about Ancient India, as you get ready for the GACE History Exam. The videos review all the relevant points including:
- Caste system
- Buddha and the spread of Buddhism
- Origins of Hinduism
- Indus Valley civilization
- The Mauryan Empire in India
Our expert instructors guide you through all aspects of the subject, refreshing your memory and perhaps teaching you a few new facts. You can take a cumulative exam at the end of the chapter to determine how much of the information you understand and to get a better feel for how confident you are in your abilities to answer related questions that may appear on the exam.
Objectives of the GACE History: Ancient India Chapter
The GACE History Exam assesses your knowledge and understanding of all areas within the field of history. Your score will determine if you can teach history in the state of Georgia. The topics in this Ancient India chapter fall within the World History to 1450 CE Subarea. This subarea makes up 40% of the questions in Test I. The self-assessment quizzes allow you to see how much you know and what you still need to study. At the same time, they give you some practice with the kinds of questions you'll find on the exam.
The GACE History Exam is made up of two tests and you need to pass both. There are 65 selected-response items on each test for a total of 130 items. You will be asked to read passages and questions and then choose the best answer from the several possibilities presented to you.
1. Ancient India: Indigenous Culture & Outside Influences
This lesson will explore the history of ancient India. It will focus on the Harappan culture, their mixing with the Aryans, and the beginnings of the Hindu faith.
2. Brahmanism: Beliefs & Evolution into Early Hinduism
Brahmanism predates every other contemporary religion in India, but has had an impact, directly or indirectly, on all of them. This lesson discusses the mysterious past of Brahmanism and how Hinduism evolved from it.
3. The Caste System in Early India
Often misunderstood as an outgrowth of Indian religions such as Hinduism or Buddhism, the idea of social caste in India was actually started to maintain social order in the face of a diverse religious and social landscape.
4. Buddha: Life & Moral Teachings
With hundreds of millions of believers, Buddhism is one of the most influential religious traditions in the world. Learn more about its founder, his surprising early life and his basic teachings.
5. Buddhism's Spread in India, Ceylon & Central Asia
With the efforts of Ashoka, Buddhism soon spread throughout much of Asia. This lesson looks at how Buddhism spread, as well as how the faith split into two different systems. After you review the lesson, test your new knowledge with our quiz!
6. The Origins of Hinduism: the Indus River Valley & the Harappa Culture
This lesson will seek to explain the origins of Hinduism. Highlighting the Harappa culture and the Vedic period, it will also explore the Hindu beliefs in Moksha and Brahman.
7. Indus Valley Civilization: Harappa & Mohenjo-Daro
In this lesson, we will explore the mysterious Indus Valley civilization, which was located in modern Pakistan and reached its high point between about 2500 BCE and 1900 BCE.
8. The Mauryan Empire in India: Rulers & Edicts
In this lesson, we will study India's Mauryan Empire. We will learn about its rulers, explore its government and economy, delve into its religious life, and examine its decline and disappearance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE History (534): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE History: Early Civilizations
- GACE History: Ancient Civilizations in the Near East
- GACE History: Bronze & Iron Ages in the Near East
- GACE History: Ancient Africa & Americas
- GACE History: Ancient China
- GACE History: Ancient Greece
- GACE History: Hellenism & the Athenian Achievement
- GACE History: The Rise of the Roman Republic
- GACE History: The Fall of the Roman Empire
- GACE History: The Rise of Christianity
- GACE History: The Byzantine Empire
- GACE History: The Rise of the Islamic Nation
- GACE History: Medieval Europe
- GACE History: Crusades & Church Reform in Medieval Europe
- GACE History: Hundred Years' War
- GACE History: Middle & Late Age Developments in Asia
- GACE History: Africa & the Americas in the Middle & Late Ages
- GACE History: The Renaissance
- GACE History: The Protestant Reformation
- GACE History: The Age of Exploration
- GACE History: The Elizabethan Era
- GACE History: Colonialism
- GACE History: The Scientific Revolution
- GACE History: The Enlightenment
- GACE History: 15th-18th Centuries in Asia & Africa
- GACE History: Revolutions Around the World From 1750-1914
- GACE History: Imperialism
- GACE History: World War I
- GACE History: World War II
- GACE History: The Cold War Era
- GACE History: Spreading Democracy Around the World
- GACE History: Europe & the United States After 1945
- GACE History: Africa & the Middle East After 1945
- GACE History: Asia & the Pacific After 1945
- GACE History: Contemporary Global Developments & Concerns
- GACE History: Colonizing the Americas
- GACE History: Settling North America
- GACE History: The Road to Revolution
- GACE History: The American Revolution
- GACE History: The Making of a New Nation
- GACE History: The Virginia Dynasty
- GACE History: Jacksonian Democracy
- GACE History: Life in Antebellum America
- GACE History: Manifest Destiny
- GACE History: Sectional Crisis
- GACE History: American Civil War
- GACE History: Reconstruction & the Gilded Age
- GACE History: Industrialization & Urbanization
- GACE History: The Progressive Era
- GACE History: American Imperialism
- GACE History: The Roaring 20s
- GACE History: The Great Depression
- GACE History: The US in World War ll
- GACE History: The Cold War
- GACE History: Post-War World
- GACE History: Protests, Activism & Civil Disobedience
- GACE History: The 1970s
- GACE History: The Rise of Political Conservatism
- GACE History: Contemporary America
- GACE History: The History of Georgia
- GACE History Flashcards