About This Chapter
GACE Marketing: Professional Development - Chapter Summary
The videos in this chapter are designed to prepare you for the GACE Marketing Education assessment. Lessons closely examine professional development so you're ready to answer questions that address the following on the exam:
- Identifying marketing career opportunities
- Maximizing an internship's career potential
- Understanding parts of a resume, formatting the resume and tailoring resume content
- Describing the importance, details and format of the cover letter
- Avoiding common job application mistakes
- Preparing for a job interview and avoiding common interview pitfalls
- Making career assessments, using career research tools
- Understanding the difference between a career and job
- Identifying career growth and advancement opportunities
Instructors in the lessons provide in-depth instruction via lively presentations that make it easy for you to absorb the materials. You can watch the videos at your own leisure, ensuring you're able to study at a pace that works best for you.
Objectives of the GACE Marketing: Professional Development Chapter
The GACE Marketing Education assessment is designed to ensure you have the knowledge and skills necessary to meet the educational standards required to secure marketing educator certification in Georgia. The topics covered in this GACE Marketing: Professional Development are found in the professional development and marketing education programs subarea, which constitutes about 16% of subtest I. In addition to watching video lessons, you can utilize chapter resources like self-assessment quizzes, a chapter exam and full video transcripts to easily review professional development concepts. If you have any questions about the chapter, instructors are available to help.
The GACE Marketing Education test is composed of two subtests that each include 80 selected-response questions. They require that you read a question, short paragraph or sentence then choose one of four answers that best answers the question or completes a statement. The questions are designed to address specific objectives to ensure you fully understand marketing concepts you will teach in the classroom.
1. Marketing Career Opportunities
Behind every glossy magazine ad and catchy television commercial jingle, there's a marketer working hard to grab your attention. Learn more about this lucrative career field and the wide range of jobs available.
2. How to Maximize Your Internship's Career Potential
An internship is a great opportunity to get experience in a career field. But how can you make the most of your time as an intern? In this lesson, we'll offer tips for maximizing your internship in the areas of learning, relationships and performance.
3. How to Create a Great Resume and Cover Letter
The first impression that a company has of you is your resume and cover letter. But how can you make them stand out from the crowd? Watch this lesson for tips on how to create a winning resume and cover letter.
4. Parts of Your Resume: Sections & Relevant Information
An effective resume starts with creating a 3-part summary of your qualifications: work experience, education and personal achievements. Every resume should be tailored specifically to match a job advertisement's requirements.
5. Tailoring the Content of Your Resume for a Job
A job applicant should be knowledgeable of how to tailor the content of their resume for a specific job. A custom, detailed, directed resume offers the best chance of acquiring an interview.
6. Formatting Your Resume: Layout & Distribution Types
Everyone appreciates the importance of a first impression. There are specific layout and distribution types of a resume that can create a professional, visually impressive image in the mind of the reader.
7. The Cover Letter: Importance, Details & Format
The cover letter is a necessity when applying for a job. There is a basic format that you can follow consisting of a salutation, three paragraphs and a close that can be used to get a potential employer's attention.
8. How to Avoid Common Job Application Mistakes
Applying for jobs can be a stressful time but knowing the common mistakes that people make during the application process can help lessen the stress. In this lesson, we'll look at common mistakes people make before and during a job interview.
9. How to Prepare For Your Job Interview
The job interview is an important part of the job application process. How can you make sure that you do your best? In this lesson, we'll examine ways to prepare for a job interview, including what to do before, during, and after the interview.
10. How to Avoid Job Interview Pitfalls
The job interview is an important moment for many people. But many people make mistakes that could cost them the job. In this lesson, we'll examine some common interview pitfalls and what you can do to avoid them.
11. Career Assessments: Types & Benefits
There are many career choices out there. How do you decide which one is right for you? In this lesson, we'll examine the different types of career assessments and how they can help you choose the best career.
12. Online Career Research Tools
How do you figure out what career is right for you? And, once you know, how do you find out more about that career? In this lesson, we'll look at some types of online career research tools that allow people to find out more about different careers.
13. Career vs. Job: What's the Difference?
Though people often use the terms 'career' and 'job' interchangeably, they aren't the same. In this lesson, we'll look at the difference between a career and a job, and how people should approach them differently.
14. Types of Opportunities to Grow in Your Career
Everyone wants to move forward in their careers, but how can you do that? In this lesson, we'll look at the two major types of career advancement, internal and external, and how to make the best of both.
15. How to Advance in Your Career: Process & Expectations
How do you get a promotion or move to a better job? Watch this lesson for tips and tricks to advance in your career, including how to set goals and be proactive when it comes to career success.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Marketing Education (546): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Marketing: Information Management
- GACE Marketing: Researching, Collecting & Evaluating Data
- GACE Marketing: Strategies & Segmentation
- GACE Marketing: The Marketing Plan
- GACE Marketing: Role & Impact of Promotion
- GACE Marketing: Economics Overview
- GACE Marketing: Distribution Channels
- GACE Marketing: Pricing Strategies
- GACE Marketing: Product Management
- GACE Marketing: Brand Positioning & Consumer Protection
- GACE Marketing: The Selling Process
- GACE Marketing Education Flashcards