About This Chapter
GACE Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions - Chapter Summary
Let our instructors help you re-examine the key terms and concepts of exponents and exponential expressions. In this chapter, lesson topics include:
- Using the order of operations and exponential expressions
- Identifying the five main exponent properties
- Simplifying exponential expressions with the power of zero
- Solving expressions with negative exponents
- Simplification of expressions with rational exponents
Our video lessons, less than 10 minutes long, offer an effective way to spend your study time. Lessons are designed to match different learning styles. Instructors use a clear and conversational manner along with fun and instructive images to explain complicated subjects. Read lesson transcripts to reinforce what instructors covered in the video.
1. Exponential Expressions & The Order of Operations
When performing mathematical operations, there is a specific order in which the operations should be performed. This includes when to simplify the exponents. This lesson will describe in what order exponents should be solved as you are performing mathematical operations.
2. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
3. The Power of Zero: Simplifying Exponential Expressions
Raising a number to the power of zero is not the same as if the exponent is a number other than zero. This lesson will explain the rule involving using zero as an exponent and will give some examples of how it works.
4. Negative Exponents: Writing Powers of Fractions and Decimals
Most numbers can be written in different ways, either as a fraction, decimal or exponent. This lesson will teach you how to write fractions and decimals using exponents and how to convert between the two.
5. Simplifying and Solving Exponential Expressions
What do we do with an exponent? In this lesson, we'll learn how to simplify and solve expressions containing exponents. We'll solve a variety of types of exponential expressions.
6. Rational Exponents
In this video, learn how to go from a rational exponent to a radical expression and back. No tricks or magic, just good math! We'll review the basics and look at a few examples.
7. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Mathematics (522): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- GACE Math: Fractions
- GACE Math: Decimals & Percents
- GACE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- GACE Math: Measurements & Conversions
- GACE Math: Logic
- GACE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- GACE Math: Vector Operations
- GACE Math: Matrices & Determinants
- GACE Math: Algebraic Expressions
- GACE Math: Linear Equations
- GACE Math: Inequalities
- GACE Math: Absolute Value Problems
- GACE Math: Quadratic Equations
- GACE Math: Polynomials
- GACE Math: Rational Expressions
- GACE Math: Radical Expressions
- GACE Math: Systems of Equations
- GACE Math: Complex Numbers
- GACE Math: Functions
- GACE Math: Piecewise Functions
- GACE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- GACE Math: Continuity of Functions
- GACE Math: Limits
- GACE Math: Rate of Change
- GACE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- GACE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- GACE Math: Applications of Derivatives
- GACE Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- GACE Math: Integration Techniques
- GACE Math: Integration Applications
- GACE Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- GACE Math: Properties of Triangles
- GACE Math: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- GACE Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- GACE Math: Quadrilaterals
- GACE Math: Circular Arcs & Circles
- GACE Math: Conic Sections
- GACE Math: Geometric Solids
- GACE Math: Analytical Geometry
- GACE Math: Using Trigonometric Functions
- GACE Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- GACE Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- GACE Math: Trigonometric Identities
- GACE Math: Sequences & Series
- GACE Math: Graph Theory
- GACE Math: Set Theory
- GACE Math: Overview of Statistics
- GACE Math: Summarizing Data
- GACE Math: Tables & Plots
- GACE Math: Probability
- GACE Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- GACE Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- GACE Math: Sampling
- GACE Math: Regression & Correlation
- GACE Mathematics Flashcards