About This Chapter
GACE Math: Overview of Statistics - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter's video lessons on statistics to refresh your knowledge of types of statistics, how they are compiled and how they are analyzed and utilized. This review may help you answer statistics questions on topics such as the following when you take the GACE Math exam:
- Defining descriptive and inferential statistics
- Explaining the difference between populations and samples, parameters and statistics
- Stating examples of quantitative, categorical, discrete and continuous data
- Describing nominal, ordinal, interval and ratio measurements
- Measuring a model's strength to gathered data
- Differentiating between experiments and observational studies
- Reviewing benefits of random selection and random allocation
- Naming limitations in convenience sampling
Because these lessons and quizzes are available online, you are able to study at your convenience. You can review these topics on a computer or mobile device, anytime you have a few minutes to spare.
1. Descriptive & Inferential Statistics: Definition, Differences & Examples
Descriptive and inferential statistics each give different insights into the nature of the data gathered. One alone cannot give the whole picture. Together, they provide a powerful tool for both description and prediction.
2. Difference between Populations & Samples in Statistics
Before you start collecting any information, it is important to understand the differences between population and samples. This lesson will show you how!
3. Defining the Difference between Parameters & Statistics
Using data to describe information can be tricky. The first step is knowing the difference between populations and samples, and then parameters and statistics.
4. Estimating a Parameter from Sample Data: Process & Examples
One of the most useful things we can do with data is use it to describe a population. Learn how in this lesson as we discuss the concepts of parameters and samples.
5. What is Quantitative Data? - Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to find out the difference between saying you have seven apples and saying that those apples are delicious. You will learn about quantitative data and why it is useful.
6. What is Categorical Data? - Definition & Examples
Categorical data is one of two types of data that you can collect when conducting research. This lesson will teach you how to understand and use categorical data.
7. Discrete & Continuous Data: Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to find that data is more than just a collection of numbers. Data is divided into several categories, including discrete and continuous data. Find out why!
8. Nominal, Ordinal, Interval & Ratio Measurements: Definition & Examples
Different types of data can be grouped and measured in different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about nominal, ordinal, interval, and ratio measurements.
9. The Purpose of Statistical Models
Understanding statistics requires that you understand statistical models. This lesson will help you understand the purpose of statistics, statistical models, and types of variables.
10. Experiments vs Observational Studies: Definition, Differences & Examples
There are different ways to collect data for research. In this lesson, you will learn about collecting data through observational studies and experiments and the differences between each.
11. Random Selection & Random Allocation: Differences, Benefits & Examples
Random selection and random allocation are often confused with one another. This lesson will help you remember the differences between them and learn how to use each method.
12. Convenience Sampling in Statistics: Definition & Limitations
Convenience sampling is one of the most common types of sampling in research. This is because of the benefits that convenience sample brings to the researcher. However, there are some limitations. You will learn about both in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Mathematics (522): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- GACE Math: Fractions
- GACE Math: Decimals & Percents
- GACE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- GACE Math: Measurements & Conversions
- GACE Math: Logic
- GACE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- GACE Math: Vector Operations
- GACE Math: Matrices & Determinants
- GACE Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- GACE Math: Algebraic Expressions
- GACE Math: Linear Equations
- GACE Math: Inequalities
- GACE Math: Absolute Value Problems
- GACE Math: Quadratic Equations
- GACE Math: Polynomials
- GACE Math: Rational Expressions
- GACE Math: Radical Expressions
- GACE Math: Systems of Equations
- GACE Math: Complex Numbers
- GACE Math: Functions
- GACE Math: Piecewise Functions
- GACE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- GACE Math: Continuity of Functions
- GACE Math: Limits
- GACE Math: Rate of Change
- GACE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- GACE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- GACE Math: Applications of Derivatives
- GACE Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- GACE Math: Integration Techniques
- GACE Math: Integration Applications
- GACE Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- GACE Math: Properties of Triangles
- GACE Math: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- GACE Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- GACE Math: Quadrilaterals
- GACE Math: Circular Arcs & Circles
- GACE Math: Conic Sections
- GACE Math: Geometric Solids
- GACE Math: Analytical Geometry
- GACE Math: Using Trigonometric Functions
- GACE Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- GACE Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- GACE Math: Trigonometric Identities
- GACE Math: Sequences & Series
- GACE Math: Graph Theory
- GACE Math: Set Theory
- GACE Math: Summarizing Data
- GACE Math: Tables & Plots
- GACE Math: Probability
- GACE Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- GACE Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- GACE Math: Sampling
- GACE Math: Regression & Correlation
- GACE Mathematics Flashcards