About This Chapter
GACE Math: Radical Expressions - Chapter Summary
The GACE Math assessment evaluates your ability to teach math concepts, including the radical expressions material reviewed in this chapter. Our short, entertaining videos demonstrate the following topics:
- Simplifying expressions with square roots in them
- How to factor radical expressions
- Multiplication and division with radical expressions
- Rationalizing denominators
- Addition and subtraction with radical notation
Use the lesson quizzes to assess your understanding of the radical expressions concepts discussed in this chapter and to evaluate your exam readiness. You can quickly return to any video segments for reexamination by using the video tags.
1. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
2. Simplifying Square Roots When not a Perfect Square
Numbers that are imperfect squares are those that, when evaluated, do not give solutions that are integers. The proper mathematical way to simplify these imperfect squares is discussed in this lesson.
3. Simplifying Expressions Containing Square Roots
In order to write radical expressions correctly, they have to be written in their simplest form. This lesson will show you how to simplify expressions containing numbers and variables inside a square root.
4. Factoring Radical Expressions
Watch this video lesson to learn how to apply the product rule to your radical expressions. Learn how this product rule actually helps you to simplify your radicals as well.
5. Multiplying then Simplifying Radical Expressions
Multiplying 2 or more radical expressions uses the same principles as multiplying polynomials, with a few extra rules for dealing with the radicals. This lesson will teach you how to multiply and then simplify radical expressions.
6. Dividing Radical Expressions
When dividing radical expressions, we use the quotient rule. This lesson will describe the quotient rule and how to use it to solve these radical expressions.
7. Rationalizing Denominators in Radical Expressions
Radical expressions containing denominators are not simplified completely unless the denominator is free of radical symbols. This lesson will teach you how to remove a radical from the denominator of a fraction through a process called rationalizing the denominator.
8. Addition and Subtraction Using Radical Notation
There are specific rules governing adding and subtracting radical expressions. This lesson will describe these rules and give examples of how they are used.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Mathematics (522): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- GACE Math: Fractions
- GACE Math: Decimals & Percents
- GACE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- GACE Math: Measurements & Conversions
- GACE Math: Logic
- GACE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- GACE Math: Vector Operations
- GACE Math: Matrices & Determinants
- GACE Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- GACE Math: Algebraic Expressions
- GACE Math: Linear Equations
- GACE Math: Inequalities
- GACE Math: Absolute Value Problems
- GACE Math: Quadratic Equations
- GACE Math: Polynomials
- GACE Math: Rational Expressions
- GACE Math: Systems of Equations
- GACE Math: Complex Numbers
- GACE Math: Functions
- GACE Math: Piecewise Functions
- GACE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- GACE Math: Continuity of Functions
- GACE Math: Limits
- GACE Math: Rate of Change
- GACE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- GACE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- GACE Math: Applications of Derivatives
- GACE Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- GACE Math: Integration Techniques
- GACE Math: Integration Applications
- GACE Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- GACE Math: Properties of Triangles
- GACE Math: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- GACE Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- GACE Math: Quadrilaterals
- GACE Math: Circular Arcs & Circles
- GACE Math: Conic Sections
- GACE Math: Geometric Solids
- GACE Math: Analytical Geometry
- GACE Math: Using Trigonometric Functions
- GACE Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- GACE Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- GACE Math: Trigonometric Identities
- GACE Math: Sequences & Series
- GACE Math: Graph Theory
- GACE Math: Set Theory
- GACE Math: Overview of Statistics
- GACE Math: Summarizing Data
- GACE Math: Tables & Plots
- GACE Math: Probability
- GACE Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- GACE Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- GACE Math: Sampling
- GACE Math: Regression & Correlation
- GACE Mathematics Flashcards