About This Chapter
GACE Math: Rate of Change - Chapter Summary
The GACE Math certification exam is sure to include some questions on rate of change, and these short, thorough videos cover the ideas you need to know. While you navigate through the chapter, you'll review:
- Instantaneous and average rates of change
- The mean value theorem
- Rolle's theorem
- The definition for differentiable
Take a quiz after you complete each lesson to make sure you'd be able to correctly answer similar questions on the exam. If you have any questions about the rate of change topics covered in this chapter, use the Teacher tab to let our instructors know you'd like some assistance.
1. Slopes and Rate of Change
If you throw a ball straight up, there will be a point when it stops moving for an instant before coming back down. Consider this as we study the rate of change of human cannonballs in this lesson.
2. Average and Instantaneous Rates of Change
When you drive to the store, you're probably not going the same speed the entire time. Speed is an example of a rate of change. In this lesson, you'll learn about the difference between instantaneous and average rate of change and how to calculate both.
3. What is the Mean Value Theorem?
Three people set off on a car trip. They all start at the same time and end at the same time. Learn what calculus says about how fast they traveled along the way as you study the Mean Value Theorem in this lesson.
4. Rolle's Theorem: A Special Case of the Mean Value Theorem
Super C, the human cannonball, is shot into the air at 35 mph, but his average vertical velocity is zero. In this lesson, you will use Rolle's theorem to explain what this means about Super C's flight.
5. Derivatives: The Formal Definition
The derivative defines calculus. In this lesson, learn how the derivative is related to the instantaneous rate of change with Super C, the cannonball man.
6. Derivatives: Graphical Representations
Take a graphical look at the definitive element of calculus: the derivative. The slope of a function is the derivative, as you will see in this lesson.
7. What It Means To Be 'Differentiable'
Lots of jets can go from zero to 300 mph quickly, but super-jets can do this instantaneously. In this lesson, learn what that means for differentiability.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Mathematics (522): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- GACE Math: Fractions
- GACE Math: Decimals & Percents
- GACE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- GACE Math: Measurements & Conversions
- GACE Math: Logic
- GACE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- GACE Math: Vector Operations
- GACE Math: Matrices & Determinants
- GACE Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- GACE Math: Algebraic Expressions
- GACE Math: Linear Equations
- GACE Math: Inequalities
- GACE Math: Absolute Value Problems
- GACE Math: Quadratic Equations
- GACE Math: Polynomials
- GACE Math: Rational Expressions
- GACE Math: Radical Expressions
- GACE Math: Systems of Equations
- GACE Math: Complex Numbers
- GACE Math: Functions
- GACE Math: Piecewise Functions
- GACE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- GACE Math: Continuity of Functions
- GACE Math: Limits
- GACE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- GACE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- GACE Math: Applications of Derivatives
- GACE Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- GACE Math: Integration Techniques
- GACE Math: Integration Applications
- GACE Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- GACE Math: Properties of Triangles
- GACE Math: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- GACE Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- GACE Math: Quadrilaterals
- GACE Math: Circular Arcs & Circles
- GACE Math: Conic Sections
- GACE Math: Geometric Solids
- GACE Math: Analytical Geometry
- GACE Math: Using Trigonometric Functions
- GACE Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- GACE Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- GACE Math: Trigonometric Identities
- GACE Math: Sequences & Series
- GACE Math: Graph Theory
- GACE Math: Set Theory
- GACE Math: Overview of Statistics
- GACE Math: Summarizing Data
- GACE Math: Tables & Plots
- GACE Math: Probability
- GACE Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- GACE Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- GACE Math: Sampling
- GACE Math: Regression & Correlation
- GACE Mathematics Flashcards