About This Chapter
GACE Math: Using Trigonometric Functions - Chapter Summary
Use our video lessons to brush up on your knowledge of trigonometric functions, including the Pythagorean theorem and the laws of sines and cosines, as you get ready for the GACE Math exam. You should be equipped to answer questions on the following topics after reviewing these videos:
- Defining sine, cosine, secant, cosecant and cotangent
- Using the Pythagorean theorem
- Explaining trigonometric ratios and similarity
- Relating right triangles to sine and cosine
- Solving right triangles
- Describing the laws of sines and cosines
- Utilizing the double angle formula
Our lessons allow you to review topics that you may not have touched on since high school. You can study anytime, anywhere you have an Internet connection.
1. Trigonometry: Sine and Cosine
Learn an easy trick to help you solve trigonometry problems, including problems with sine, cosine and inverse trig functions. At the end of this lesson, you'll know what SohCahToa means and how to use it.
2. Trigonometry and the Pythagorean Theorem
Explore how the Pythagorean Theorem can be used in conjunction with trigonometric functions. In this lesson, take an inverse trigonometric function, and define all three sides of a right triangle.
3. Other Trigonometric Functions: Cotangent, Secant & Cosecant
After watching this video lesson, you will understand how the trigonometric functions cotangent, secant, and cosecant are related to the sine, cosine, and tangent functions.
4. Trigonometric Ratios and Similarity
Where do terms like sine, cosine and tangent come from? In this lesson, we'll learn about how similarity with right triangles leads to trigonometric ratios.
5. Unit Circle: Memorizing the First Quadrant
Memorizing the unit circle can be a daunting task, but this lesson will show you a pattern to help you memorize the points, degree measures, and radian measures for the entire first quadrant.
6. Using Unit Circles to Relate Right Triangles to Sine & Cosine
The unit circle is a helpful tool for understanding trigonometric concepts. In this lesson, we'll look at right triangles on the unit circle to better grasp sine and cosine.
7. Special Right Triangles: Types and Properties
Not all right triangles are the same. In this lesson, we'll look at two special right triangles (30-60-90 and 45-45-90) that have unique properties to help you quickly and easily solve certain triangle problems.
8. Trigonometric Function Values of Special Angles
After watching this video lesson, you will better understand the six trigonometric functions. You will also know what special angles there are and what the trigonometric values for these special angles are.
9. Law of Sines: Definition and Application
Don't get stuck trying to find missing sides or angles in a triangle. Use the Law of Sines to rescue you from any perilous triangle in which you have just a few pieces of information.
10. Law of Cosines: Definition and Application
In this lesson, we'll learn how to solve problems involving three sides and one angle in a triangle. The Law of Cosines, a modification of the Pythagorean Theorem, will save the day.
11. The Double Angle Formula
When you encounter a doubled angle, there are special formulas that can help you handle trigonometric value. In this lesson, we'll define and practice using the double angle formulas for sine, cosine and tangent.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Mathematics (522): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- GACE Math: Fractions
- GACE Math: Decimals & Percents
- GACE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- GACE Math: Measurements & Conversions
- GACE Math: Logic
- GACE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- GACE Math: Vector Operations
- GACE Math: Matrices & Determinants
- GACE Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- GACE Math: Algebraic Expressions
- GACE Math: Linear Equations
- GACE Math: Inequalities
- GACE Math: Absolute Value Problems
- GACE Math: Quadratic Equations
- GACE Math: Polynomials
- GACE Math: Rational Expressions
- GACE Math: Radical Expressions
- GACE Math: Systems of Equations
- GACE Math: Complex Numbers
- GACE Math: Functions
- GACE Math: Piecewise Functions
- GACE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- GACE Math: Continuity of Functions
- GACE Math: Limits
- GACE Math: Rate of Change
- GACE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- GACE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- GACE Math: Applications of Derivatives
- GACE Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- GACE Math: Integration Techniques
- GACE Math: Integration Applications
- GACE Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- GACE Math: Properties of Triangles
- GACE Math: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- GACE Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- GACE Math: Quadrilaterals
- GACE Math: Circular Arcs & Circles
- GACE Math: Conic Sections
- GACE Math: Geometric Solids
- GACE Math: Analytical Geometry
- GACE Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- GACE Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- GACE Math: Trigonometric Identities
- GACE Math: Sequences & Series
- GACE Math: Graph Theory
- GACE Math: Set Theory
- GACE Math: Overview of Statistics
- GACE Math: Summarizing Data
- GACE Math: Tables & Plots
- GACE Math: Probability
- GACE Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- GACE Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- GACE Math: Sampling
- GACE Math: Regression & Correlation
- GACE Mathematics Flashcards