About This Chapter
GACE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Speaking Strategies - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we'll explore public speaking and related topics, like diction and presentation style. The engaging lessons can help you prepare for any GACE Middle Grades ELA exam questions on the following:
- Identifying types of speeches, such as informative, persuasive and special occasion
- Understanding how to style a speech based on the speaker, audience and purpose
- Using vocal qualities to convey meaning
- Defining the types and advantages of oral communications
- Utilizing a rubric for class discussions
Each video lesson is packed with straightforward explanations delivered in an easy-to-follow format. At the conclusion of each lesson, you'll take a quiz to assess your own skill level. Ask our instructors for help any time you need it via the Help tab.
1. Types of Speeches: Informative, Persuasive, and Special Occasion
There are essentially three types of speeches public speakers use to influence their audience. In this lesson, we'll look at those three types of speeches and how each serves a different purpose.
2. The Style of a Speech: Speaker, Audience & Purpose
When writing a speech, a writer should consider the speaker, audience and purpose of the speech. Each factor influences the overall style of the speech.
3. How Diction Influences the Style of a Speech
Audience understanding has much to do with the speech writer's word choice. Diction involves an accurate, appropriate and understandable selection of words to better convey the meaning of a speech.
4. Using Vocal Qualities to Convey Meaning in Public Speaking
To keep your audience engaged, it is important to consider vocal qualities like volume, pace and pitch. These qualities are what keep your speech not only interesting but also engaging. Learn about vocal qualities in this lesson.
5. Class Discussion Rubric
This lesson provides an overview of rubrics and what to consider when making a class discussion rubric. It also includes tips for using rubrics during class discussions. A short quiz follows the lesson.
6. Oral Communication: Definition, Types & Advantages
Oral communication is the process of expressing information or ideas by word of mouth. Learn more about the types and benefits of oral communication, and find out how you can improve your own oral communication abilities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Language Arts (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Parts of Speech
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Phrases & Clauses
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Types of Sentences
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Foundations of Reading Development
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Word Meanings
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Themes in Written Works
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Inference & Context
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Literary Genres
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Literary Drama
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Poetry
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Figures of Speech
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Informational Texts
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Strategies for Comprehension
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: English Language Literature
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Georgia Authors
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Essay Writing
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: The Writing Process
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Research Paper Components
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Vocabulary
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Dialect & Diction
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Writing
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Assessments
- GACE Middle Grades Language Arts Flashcards