About This Chapter
GACE Middle Grades ELA: Essay Writing - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter to guide you through the best ways to structure an essay so that you can tackle questions on the GACE Middle Grades ELA test. Each video lesson addresses topics that you'll see on the exam, such as:
- Establishing a captivating introduction and thesis
- Writing strong body paragraphs
- Utilizing transition sentences
- Examining best practices for introductions and conclusions
- Avoiding common writing pitfalls and redundancy
- Understanding the importance of using precise language in writing
You'll make your way through each topic with the help of our professional instructors, who will assist you in developing a thorough understanding of essay writing in preparation for the test. Using different learning methods allows you to study in whichever way works best for you, and watching videos can provide a fun, unique approach.
1. Essay Introduction: Write a Thesis and Capture Your Audience
We'll look at the importance of the introductory paragraph and engaging your audience through the use of attention getters, a bridge, and an arguable thesis. Three of the most common attention getters are specifically defined, and examples are provided in this lesson.
2. How to Write a Strong Essay Body
This video will show you how to achieve unified, coherent body paragraphs in your essays. By creating well-developed body paragraphs, your essays will be cleaner, sharper and earn you a better grade!
3. How to Write and Use Transition Sentences
Like a road map, transitions guide readers through your essay. This lesson examines the way writers transition between sentences, within paragraphs and between paragraphs to make for a smooth reading experience.
4. Introductions and Conclusions: Best Practices and Advice
Take the opportunity in your introductory and concluding paragraphs to create good impressions. This lesson walks you through a variety of methods for making the most of the first and last paragraphs in your academic essay.
5. Common Writing Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them
In addition to all the other things you do while writing an academic essay, you'll need to think about how to avoid common pitfalls. This lesson discusses how to steer clear of some common problems.
6. How to Avoid Redundancy in Your Writing
Does your writing redundantly say the same thing twice? Is it full of unnecessary and inessential repetition of things you've already said before? Learn how to fix it here!
7. The Importance of Using Precise Language in Writing
The simple tips in this lesson will help your writing come to life. Learn how to choose particular nouns and verbs that are active or that show precise states of being, perfect modifiers, and, as an added bonus, a very powerful writing tool: similes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Language Arts (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Parts of Speech
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Phrases & Clauses
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Types of Sentences
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Foundations of Reading Development
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Word Meanings
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Themes in Written Works
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Inference & Context
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Literary Genres
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Literary Drama
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Poetry
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Figures of Speech
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Informational Texts
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Strategies for Comprehension
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: English Language Literature
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Georgia Authors
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: The Writing Process
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Research Paper Components
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Speaking Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Vocabulary
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Dialect & Diction
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Writing
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Assessments
- GACE Middle Grades Language Arts Flashcards