About This Chapter
GACE Middle Grades ELA: Parts of Speech - Chapter Summary
This chapter is designed to help you refresh your knowledge of subjects, verbs, nouns, and other parts of speech. You'll review the following to prepare for the GACE Middle Grades ELA exam:
- Identifying and giving examples of an antecedent
- Understanding verb tense and subject-verb agreement
- Defining the eight parts of speech
- Avoiding errors of verb tense and subject-verb agreement
- Identifying errors with adjectives, adverbs, nouns and agreement
- Explaining misplaced modifiers and dangling modifiers
You can work through our instructor-led video lessons at a pace that's comfortable for you. Transcripts are available as a supplemental studying tool to reinforce key concepts. Using our unique studying approach can make test preparation more manageable.
1. What is an Antecedent? - Definition, Meaning & Examples
If you have a pronoun in a sentence, you'll also need to have an antecedent. In this lesson, find out what an antecedent is as well as some of the basic rules for avoiding vague pronoun references and for making sure that you have pronoun-antecedent agreement.
2. Verb Tense & Subject-Verb Agreement
Learn all about verb tense and subject-verb agreement in our first lesson on this tricky topic. We'll look at examples to help you understand this concept.
3. What Are the 8 Parts of Speech? - Definition & Examples
If you can't tell the difference between a noun and a hole in the ground, that's because there isn't one! Come learn more about these and the seven other parts of speech and their functions in this lesson.
4. Identifying Errors of Verb Tense
In order to identify verb tense errors, you'll need to learn about the six verb tenses and how they differ. Once you know how to look for them, problematic shifts in verb tenses can be spotted and avoided easily.
5. Identifying Subject-Verb Agreement Errors
It's important that the subject and verb in every sentence agree in number. While it's often easy to make this happen, there are a few situations in which it can be tricky to achieve subject-verb agreement. This lesson explains how you can be sure to pair the right verb with a subject.
6. How to Identify Errors in Adjectives, Adverbs, Nouns & Agreement
All sentences must have agreement. But what does that mean? How do you make words agree? Watch this video lesson to learn the answers to all your questions on agreement.
7. What Are Misplaced Modifiers and Dangling Modifiers?
I have this recurring nightmare where all my modifiers are misplaced or dangling and everybody's laughing at me. Don't let this happen to you! Learn why modifiers are important and why putting them in the right place is even more so.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Language Arts (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Phrases & Clauses
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Types of Sentences
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Foundations of Reading Development
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Word Meanings
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Themes in Written Works
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Inference & Context
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Literary Genres
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Literary Drama
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Poetry
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Figures of Speech
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Informational Texts
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Strategies for Comprehension
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: English Language Literature
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Georgia Authors
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Essay Writing
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: The Writing Process
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Research Paper Components
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Speaking Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Vocabulary
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Dialect & Diction
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Writing
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Assessments
- GACE Middle Grades Language Arts Flashcards