About This Chapter
GACE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Informational Texts - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons contained within this chapter as part of your review process for studying informational texts as you prepare for the GACE Middle Grades ELA exam. Our video lessons can prepare you for any exam questions involving:
- Identifying and analyzing text structures
- Utilizing visuals to present data
- Interpreting scientific graphs and charts
- Defining informational text
- Determining facts versus opinion in text
- Identifying the organization in a reading selection
Review these lessons from a computer, tablet or smartphone at a time that's convenient for you. Complete the chapter exam at the end to gauge your overall understanding of the material in this chapter.
1. What is Informational Text? - Definition, Characteristics & Examples
This lesson will help you understand and identify all components of informational text. Learn more about informational text and see examples in this lesson.
2. How to Identify & Analyze Text Structure
Understanding the organization of a piece of writing is imperative to gain a full understanding of the author's message. In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify and analyze several common text structures.
3. Identifying the Organization in a Reading Selection
Nonfiction texts can be organized in a variety of ways. In this lesson, we'll discuss how to identify which organizational structure is being used in a reading selection.
4. Determining Facts vs. Opinion in a Text
This lesson will explain how to distinguish between fact and opinion. We'll define the two terms, learn how to determine whether a statement is a fact or an opinion, and practice this skill.
5. Using Visuals to Present Data: Textual Graphics vs. Visual Graphics
Textual and visual graphics can aid in visually presenting data to a business audience. You must first identify the type of data you will be presenting and then decide whether it is details, patterns or relationships being communicated.
6. Reading and Interpreting Line Graphs
Watch this video lesson to find out how useful line graphs can be and how much information you can gain just from looking at one. Learn how you can apply that information in your own life to help you make better decisions.
7. Interpreting Graphs and Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Do charts and graphs make problem-solving difficult? Complex problems with visual representations can drain your brain during a test. In this lesson, learn three simple rules for solving problems with charts and graphs. We'll try them out as we walk through two sample problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Language Arts (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Parts of Speech
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Phrases & Clauses
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Types of Sentences
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Foundations of Reading Development
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Word Meanings
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Themes in Written Works
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Inference & Context
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Literary Genres
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Literary Drama
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Poetry
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Figures of Speech
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Strategies for Comprehension
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: English Language Literature
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Georgia Authors
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Essay Writing
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: The Writing Process
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Research Paper Components
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Speaking Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Vocabulary
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Dialect & Diction
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Writing
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Assessments
- GACE Middle Grades Language Arts Flashcards