About This Chapter
GACE Middle Grades ELA: Research Paper Components - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides a comprehensive overview of how to conduct and cite research, as well as an explanation of the different writing formats. The definitions and examples help cement the information so that you can recall it for the GACE Middle Grades ELA test. Videos lessons are available on these topics:
- Assessing validity and reliability of sources
- Locating research materials
- Paraphrasing, quoting and summarizing research
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Utilizing in-text citations
- Defining MLA, APA and Chicago formats
Our experts present the the components of research papers through engaging methods. The lessons cover a range of research-related topics, but they aren't presented in an overwhelming way. You'll have self-assessment quizzes to take if you're still not sure about the material.
1. Assessing the Reliability and Validity of Sources
In the business world, any research material must have support that can provide validity and reliability. The support must be credible and have documentation to show that it is well-researched, professional, peer-reviewed and recent.
2. Tips for Locating Research Materials
The process of preparing a research paper for academic or employment purposes can be a difficult task. There are some basic tips for how to locate research materials such as online, books, periodicals, etc.
3. Quoting, Paraphrasing and Summarizing Your Research
Quoting, paraphrasing and summarizing are three important skills to master for writing in the academic and business world. These skills will help support claims and add credibility to your work.
4. How to Avoid Plagiarism: When to Cite Sources
Plagiarism is a very serious matter in both academia and professional writing. Plagiarism in an academic setting can lead to you failing a course or being removed from school completely. Plagiarism in professional writing can lead to being fired from a job or finding yourself in court being sued. Let's figure out how to avoid this issue!
5. How to Make In-Text Citations
With this lesson, you'll get to know the basics of creating in-text citations. We'll go over both MLA and APA style parenthetical citations and how to use them to cite different types of sources.
6. What is MLA Format?
MLA format is one of the most common structures for organizing a paper in academic writing. In this video, we will cover the basics of MLA format, focusing on citing within the text and creating a Works Cited page.
7. How to Format APA Citations
All college students must not only know how to read and understand writing, they need to know how to write using the APA citation style as well. This video will pull back the covers of APA style writing and give you confidence when using APA.
8. What Is the Chicago Citation Style?
In this video, we cover the basics of the Chicago Manual of Style. This writing format is popular among those in the editing field and may be the preferred style of many professors in technical writing, law, and even some English courses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Language Arts (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Parts of Speech
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Phrases & Clauses
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Types of Sentences
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Foundations of Reading Development
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Word Meanings
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Themes in Written Works
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Inference & Context
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Literary Genres
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Literary Drama
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Poetry
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Figures of Speech
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Informational Texts
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Strategies for Comprehension
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: English Language Literature
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Georgia Authors
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Essay Writing
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: The Writing Process
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Speaking Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Vocabulary
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Dialect & Diction
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Writing
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Assessments
- GACE Middle Grades Language Arts Flashcards