About This Chapter
GACE Middle Grades ELA: The Writing Process - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter as part of your strategy for revisiting what you've learned about the writing process in preparation for the GACE Middle Grades ELA exam. The videos go over all the important dimensions you need to be on top of, including:
- Utilizing effective prewriting
- Organizing your writing by task, purpose and audience
- Using sources and evaluating evidence
- Structuring sentences and paragraphs
- Improving your writing through sentence structure and rhetorical skills
- Setting the tone with word choice and language
- Revising writing mistakes
Our experienced instructors present all the important writing process points you need to know about. You can take a short practice quiz after completing each lesson. Easily return to any video segments for further review via the video tags.
1. Effective Prewriting: Instructions and Examples
You should learn prewriting techniques, such as brainstorming, mapping, and freewriting, to produce well-planned, focused essays. This lesson explains the basics for how to conduct effective prewriting.
2. Choosing How to Organize Your Writing: Task, Purpose & Audience
By following a series of tasks, making sure to decide upon our purpose for writing and tailoring the paper to our audience, we can write stronger essays and reports. Watch this lesson to find out how to do these things.
3. How to Use Sources to Write Essays and Evaluate Evidence
When writing an essay, you will often be asked to utilize appropriate sources for evidence, including facts and definitions. In this video, we will talk about the ways we can utilize and evaluate sources and evidence.
4. How to Structure Paragraphs in an Essay
When structuring a paragraph, you shouldn't just go throwing together a few sentences. The sentences that make up a paragraph should all flow together and represent the same topic to make up a strong paragraph. This video explains how to put together your sentences and paragraphs to maximize their impact.
5. How to Structure Sentences in an Essay
Sometimes we know what we want to write, but we are just unsure of the best way to write it. In this video, we will cover ways to structure sentences in an essay.
6. How to Write Better by Improving Your Sentence Structure
Often times in writing, we know what we want to say, but it doesn't seem to come out right. In this video we will learn the steps needed to improve your writing with better sentence structure.
7. Using Rhetorical Skills to Write Better Essays
In this video, you will explore the basics of identifying your purpose and audience and learn how to use effective rhetorical skills in your persuasive writing.
8. How Word Choice and Language Sets the Tone of Your Essay
In this video, we will discuss how word choice sets the tone for your essay. This includes letting the reader know if you are angry, happy or even attempting to refrain from bias. These tools bring your 'voice' into your writing.
9. Writing Revision: How to Fix Mistakes in Your Writing
Writing is an important skill, but revising your writing is also. In this lesson, learn the basics of self-editing, including editing for content and for mechanics, such as grammar and misspellings.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Language Arts (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Parts of Speech
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Phrases & Clauses
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Types of Sentences
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Foundations of Reading Development
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Word Meanings
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Identifying Themes in Written Works
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Inference & Context
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Literary Genres
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Literary Drama
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Analyzing Poetry
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Figures of Speech
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Informational Texts
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Reading Strategies for Comprehension
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: English Language Literature
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Georgia Authors
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Essay Writing
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Research Paper Components
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Speaking Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Vocabulary
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Dialect & Diction
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Teaching Writing
- GACE Middle Grades ELA: Assessments
- GACE Middle Grades Language Arts Flashcards